Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectbigger gains? camshaft or tb (throttle body)? helP
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=55770
55770, bigger gains? camshaft or tb (throttle body)? helP
Posted by momoney816, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hello, i got into an arguement with my freind he has a 2002 acura rsx type s with intake and full greddy catback. Hes telling me that camshafts for $1,000 plus installation is better then a throttle body and headers. Can someone explain whats more worth it. Also he says that the camshafts give gains to the wheel where headers and tb dont (at least as much as camshafts) please resond asap.
55773, RE: bigger gains? camshaft or tb (throttle body)? helP
Posted by fly1, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Sorry, but I will have to agree with your friend. A TB and header will probably only yield a 5-7 hp max, whereas, the camshafts (when combined with adjustable cam gears) will allow you to advance or retard the intake/exhaust cams. Gains of 15-25 hp have been documented. Cams come in different grinds--street or race--which one you choose will yield hp and torque gains at certain RPMS. Street grinds will yield more lower to mid gains; drag grinds will yield top end gains.
55781, RE: bigger gains? camshaft or tb (throttle body)? helP
Posted by momoney816, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
thanks for the info, is there any other input on this?
55788, RE: bigger gains? camshaft or tb (throttle body)? helP
Posted by xEclipsE RaceRx, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yea you only have one header...not headers...im a smart ass sorry...i wish i could contribute to your question but I cant

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 10th Anniversary OZ Edition
Check Out My Site For Pix
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/EclipseRaceR/MyEclipse/VIS%20CF%20Hood/
55791, RE: bigger gains? camshaft or tb (throttle body)? helP
Posted by CVedEclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
fly1 hit it on the nose... the whp gains of the tb and header (esp for our the 420A) are not too impressive. however, the throttle response will definitely increase.
55794, RE: bigger gains? camshaft or tb (throttle body)? helP
Posted by xtreme96gs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
why not just get the camshafts, headers AND TB?? :+
55797, RE: bigger gains? camshaft or tb (throttle body)? helP
Posted by DR1665, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
While I agree that the cams will yield more horsepower, I doubt they will achieve their maximum potential without a freer breathing intake/exhaust system. Plus, I would feel kinda awkward to have $1000 cams stuffed into an otherwise stock engine (I think if you can afford $1000 cams, you can afford some $600 ones AND the TB/header). I come from the school of thought where you would want to set the stage for cams first, but whatever's clever, right? ;)
55809, RE: bigger gains? camshaft or tb (throttle body)? helP
Posted by Michael_97RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yes the extra air flow the cams can provide will do you no good if the intake and exhaust sides can't flow enough to take advantage. Do the basics first, get the engine ready and then slap in the cams, you'll be happier with the results if you take your time and be patient.

15.9 @ 86.7mph

Smooth idle? We don't need no stinking smooth idle.

Mods List:
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/sig.htm
I generated this page in 0.011974811553955 seconds, executing 7 queries.