Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectfuel filter
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=50933
50933, fuel filter
Posted by shuwa29, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
ok, need some general advice on this:

1. on my car, 1998, where would the fuel filter be located (also going by chiltons manual)?
2. how hard is it to change (once again, going by chiltons manual)?

my car is throwing a code for lean fuel system and according to the tech info i got/researched, this is the top cause. if not this, then injectors or FPR. let me know guys. TIA
later
50936, RE: fuel filter
Posted by ner947, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
your fuel filter will be really easy to change. it's this black cylinder under the passanger's side in front of the rear wheel. i think you take out 2 bolts holding it in, and remove the 2 banjo bolts hodling the fuel lines to it and just pop in a new one. when i did my turbo install i changed my fuel filter, it was easy as cake.
50964, RE: fuel filter
Posted by Joe B Slow, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
take off the gas cap to relieve pressure or you'll have a nice little gasoline shower.

Good for the hair ive heard:thumbsup
50969, RE: fuel filter
cool guys, since i slept today, i'll do it tomorrow.
later
51020, RE: fuel filter
ok i got my filter ($23 from autozone) so i might do it tonight if it doesn't take too long. i got all the tools i'd need and a jack and stands. just wondering how long am i looking to take on this. i'm very familar with my car so this isn't that hard of a thing to do. i just like to get an inside guess of how long it would take. also, when i go to repressurize the system, do i just reverse the steps? plug the fuel pump plug back in and then reconnect the negative battery terminal? and try to start it? TIA.
later
51021, RE: fuel filter
Posted by Uberingram, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Its not so much as repressurizing the fuel system as just putting it back together. Might take a few cranks to get it started but no worries.
51022, RE: fuel filter
Posted by Jason_99ozGS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I took a pic from my Haynes manual.. Hope it helps you out some. Oh yeah it's a big pic 439KB, but it's detailed:thumbsup

http://webpages.charter.net/jasonk/images/FuelFilter.JP G

This might help too
http://webpages.charter.net/jasonk/images/FuelPress.JP G

51023, RE: fuel filter
ok i got everything visualized so i guess i'll start on it now. since i am bored and all. i'll give it a shot.
later
51026, RE: fuel filter
ok, i got the fuel pump connector disconnected but my car is still running. how long does it take the car do die? help!!!
later
51036, RE: fuel filter
ok, the chiltons manual was wrong, the fuel pump was the panel next to it. anyways, i'm about to intall the new one. my old one was clogged up all the way to the top so i'm pretty sure that's why my car has been running bad. anyways, i'll let you guys know.
later
51054, RE: fuel filter
Posted by Joe B Slow, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Man you dont have to unplug anything but the fuel cap. Take off the inside take off the out side. Put the new one on. Turn the key til you hear the fuel pump turn on 3 times. on the 3rd crank it up. rev the engine up and have someone check for leaks.

51060, RE: fuel filter
thanks for the info but i finished it back around 9 pm eastern time. yeah it leaked when i took off the old one but the new is on good with no leaks. i still think i might have a clog so i'm going to use the fuel system cleaner. i think last time i used it, the fuel filter blocked it since it was so clogged. we'll see.
later
I generated this page in 0.010512113571167 seconds, executing 7 queries.