Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectRE: backfire
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=49984&mesg_id=50445
50445, RE: backfire
Posted by DR1665, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Seems to me like mine idles fine when cold. It's once it gets warm that the idles kinda sputter intermittently (about every 4 seconds).
I changed my original FUEL FILTER this afternoon. It had almost 140K on it. :P Car runs a lot smoother now, but I still get that damn puttering when it's warmed up.

I tested the COIL PACK at the plug and all 4 terminals. Chilton's says you should get 11.5 - 13.5 (in that area) KOhms across your terminals. (from one point to the one directly across from it) I got 12.5. Spec? Check.

I tested my PLUG WIRES. Chilton says they should run about 8KOhm. Here's where I got some variance. 1 & 4 came in at 4KOhm and 2 & 3 pulled 3KOhm. I would think lower resistance is better in this area, but I don't know at this point. I would guess excess resitance would lead to misfiring due to a weaker spark. Most aftermarket have a lower resistance if I'm right, so this doesn't matter muc, I think.

I also noticed oil all over my PCV hose from the valve cover. Pulled the PCV check it for movement only, not vac, and put it back in. I'm going to go back through this thread and see if there's any thing else on the simple side I can check out one night this week. Let's get this fixed! }(

*EDIT*
I was reading the forums at The Ranger Station (trying to fix a crappy idle on my bro's Ranger) and saw someone mention that if you have too much oil on your K&N or similar filter, it can be sucked into the TB and make you idle funny. I didn't feel like pulling all that off to check sine I'll be P&P that thing here pretty soon, but do we all have K&N or oiled filters here?

Where's that "badest mother fucker on the planet" Dino with the low down on what this is, huh? hehe :7
I generated this page in 0.0090761184692383 seconds, executing 6 queries.