Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectLeaking Valve Cover
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=37553
37553, Leaking Valve Cover
Posted by chrysler kid, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I need help...I noticed while installing my bodykit that (oil?) is leaking from the valve caover on to the heat shield for the headers. I've also noticed a severe dropoff in performance at high RPM's (around 6300 or so) My dad says i might have a bad head gasket, is there any place where i can buy performance headgasketts or what is the problem? Is it fatal? (also i always seem to always be short on oil)
37554, RE: Leaking Valve Cover
Posted by Tytanfoxx, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yea Yea! hey do a compression check to find out about head gaskets theres a write up on how to do it in the mods section, it's cheap and inexpensive so u can do that yourself, on the valve cover issue that's an easy fix too, u can get a replacement gasket at the auto supply house. Lastly you could have a valve seal problem, our cars are notorious for bad valve seals which will cause light smoking and a loss in power, pull your spark plugs, if u find oil in one of the cylinders, it the valve seals, like I said if it's the head gaskets u probably would find coolant in your oil, so check it all out thats a dead giveaway-Good luck Homie :)

BOOST!-Tis far better to have it and not need it-than to need and not have it.

96 Black GS
Fog Light Mod*Custom Built Foxx 2K2 Short Air Intake* Foxx 2k2 Short Shifter*Indy Sequential Shifter Knob*Grabber Green/Orange Brake Caliper Color Mod*(:waryAryton Sienna R*I*P Orange/Green Engine Color Scheme) Maxspeed Catback System*18" Konig Black Opal Verdicts wrapped in Toyo Proxes FZ4's*Front Strut Tower Bar*Indiglo Gauges*MT4 Indiglo Pedals*Eibach Sportline Springs*$$$ Eibach Rear Pro Camber Kit$$$$
Coming$$$$$$ HRC Stage 2 Turbo

37555, RE: Leaking Valve Cover
thanks for the advice but i kinda wanted to know if it was a seal problem (the car doesnt smoke) or if the head gasket might be damaged, i'm thinkin it might be a seal problem but why does my performance shutdown at 6k rpm? i had the spark plugs replaced when i first got the car about three months ago, ang i dont know the difference between coolant and oil so..................oh and do they make performance gasketts or am is it not worth getting one?
I am engine illeterate so i am sorry in advance thanks for your help tytan fox
37556, RE: Leaking Valve Cover
Posted by krut87, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Your performance cuts out at aroung 6400 rpm because our cars have an electronic rev limiter. I believe the limiter cuts of spark, or gas, so that you don't blow your engine.

As for the leakage, it is probably a headgasket and valve cover. Mine both were leaking and fit the description that you gave.
37557, RE: Leaking Valve Cover
the rev limiter kicks in at 7500, but thanks for you help ill have to go to satan and find the problem
37558, RE: Leaking Valve Cover
Posted by mrlocalpimp, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You probably have a valve cover leak, and thats it. I have it. I dont think its fatal as long as you dont run out of oil, right?

I have oil in 2 spark plug holes too. And it seaping out the sides of the valve cover. I took off the valve cover and plastered it with that valve cover-maker stuff. I dont know where I went wrong, but it leaks worse now. Hrmmmm..... I did a good job too. Either way, got the car at 90,000 miles and it had the problem. Now im at 155,000, just 2 years later maybe, and the problem is the same. Nothing bad has happened, except the problem is still there. Id love it to be fixed, I bet it would be good for the car too, but so far not fatal. So dont stress. Get it fixed, but dont stress.
37559, RE: Leaking Valve Cover
im gonna get a compression test at autozone tommorow just to make sure everything is ok. Umm.... if you get the leak fixed im sure your car will go faster, i mean i've seen pics of your car and its pretty decent so you may want to get it looked at too, or just keep savin up for the BOV ;)
37560, RE: Leaking Valve Cover
Posted by MetalJim, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
It sounds like it's the valve cover gasket that's causing the leakage.

As far as the performance drop off - that sounds about right to me. With stock cams the performance would drop off severely at just about 6500 RPM for me. Definately check your compression though - that's a good idea.

If you don't see oil in your coolant or coolant in your oil, then your headgasket is probalby fine. But just cause you asked, you can run a thinner head gasket to get a little more power. The thinnest head gaskets I know of are .022 inches thick and ours are either .040 or .046 inches thick. Using a .022 inch head gasket would raise your compression by about a half a point - so you'de have somewhere around a 10:1 or 10.1:1 compression ratio. That would increase your overall power output by about 2% through the whole RPM range. In other words 140HP peak would become 143HP peak.

ride__________95 Eclipse RS : 5 speed
power________Gude cams : Jeep TB : AFX UDP : ram air : test pipe : GST catback
suspention___BOMZ F/R upper strut bars : ES inserts
sound________Kenwood KDC 5000 : Audiovox 8" sub toob - no sub amp(damnit!)
shizzle_______AutoCommand remote start : dual air horns : Caspers o2 simulator(rear)
incomming___Hurricane F/R lower strut ties : Field SFC Hyper-R
Jeep TB writeup - http://www.dimensia.com:81/jimbo/JeepTBfor2gnt.html
I generated this page in 0.010083913803101 seconds, executing 7 queries.