Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectremoval of cat and resonator - straight pipe!
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=20697
20697, removal of cat and resonator - straight pipe!
Posted by 95eclipsegsna, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
when my header comes in i am going to go have a pipe bent 2 1/2 inch all the way back form the header to remove the cat and resonator so basically i'll have header - straight pipe then my 5 zigen muffler - thats is - what do you you tihnk that will do for me? - i know it will be loud and smoggy - but what kind of dyno would i gain from this and should i do it??
20698, RE: removal of cat and resonator - straight pipe!
Posted by vegasdsmr, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
welp, w/ the 5zigen on pcesser pipes, it was raspy...
your idea sounds great if u have no emissions, but slap on a cherry bomb glasspack while your at it, you will luv your exhaust ;-)
20699, RE: removal of cat and resonator - straight pipe!
Posted by BLACKWIDOWDSM, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Where do you get a cherrybomb glasspack?

Optima deep cycle battery
NGKs
Bosch wires -:x
painted calipers
GReddy headers-custom flanges
Monza pipe_Arospeed Bomb muffler
sidemarkers-blue
2 impp 12's
BOLT 300 watt amp-DONT ASK<DONT TELL
MA AUDIO Digital 1 farad CAP
Bandpass box
2002 model Sony Xplod CD player--All props on audio to-E-Rock.

20700, RE: removal of cat and resonator - straight pipe!
Posted by Fast420A, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Most autoparts stores have Cherry bomb glass packs for $15 - $25.

________________________________________________________________________________________
current status - No 3rd Gear synchro

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/
www.Fast420A.com

20701, RE: removal of cat and resonator - straight pipe!
so a galls pack huh - what would thate make it sound like would it be louder? - cuase i'm going for sound and performance here thats why i'm doing it the idea is to when i go street racing - unbolt cat res. and bolt on straig pipe - then the next day when it cools off unbilt straight pipe and bolt back cat on - it sounds like alot of work but thats what i want to do

20702, RE: removal of cat and resonator - straight pipe!
Posted by Jen, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Acutally, I've heard that taking out your cat and resonator will not improve your performance. It will do the opposite.

Can anyone confirm this?

I may be completely wrong, but I've heard several times that a NA car will perform better with a cat :)

-1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS-T
-1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

20703, RE: removal of cat and resonator - straight pipe!
Posted by iamnotwhoiam, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i have a sort of on the side question.. what is the difference between a cherry bomb glass pack and a resonator. i just put on my custom 2.5 piping from the cat to my N1 muffler and it has a good tone at idle and up to around 3k rpms, but becomes quite raspy beyond that, and from what i hear i guess i need one or the other of the items above to deepen the tone or reduce the raspyness. i dont care about how loud it is, i just dont want the raspyness.
20704, RE: removal of cat and resonator - straight pipe!
i dont know i've never heard that it will hurt a NA car - i've always thoug tit will help it - cause think about it you exhaust will escape faster - i'll look around to see what i can come up with then i'll let everyone know!
20705, RE: removal of cat and resonator - straight pipe!
Posted by Swsoc07, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I think you need to keep the cat on if youre n/a b/c you need backpressure. If you take back pressure away youll slow down...if you have a turbo the turbo creates all the back pressure you need and therefore you dont need the cat...im pretty sure thats correct...if not someone please correct me
20706, RE: removal of cat and resonator - straight pipe!
>I think you need to keep the cat on if youre n/a b/c you
>need backpressure. If you take back pressure away youll
>slow down...if you have a turbo the turbo creates all the
>back pressure you need and therefore you dont need the
>cat...im pretty sure thats correct...if not someone please
>correct me

This is what I was thinking. Makes sense...

20707, RE: removal of cat and resonator - straight pipe!
backpressure is a myth... search and there is a decent writeup on it...with the removal of the cat, u will loose a lil low end torque, but gain in the upper rpm band....

a glasspack (cherry bomb) is in fact a resonator. wat it does is quiet down the exhaust note, w/out affecting performance...

20708, RE: removal of cat and resonator - straight pipe!
>with the removal of the cat, u will loose a lil low end torque,
>but gain in the upper rpm band

I don't know about you guys, but I have enough top end. Low end torque is what I'm missing and I wouldn't give up any more bottom end to have some more top end :)

20709, RE: removal of cat and resonator - straight pipe!
Posted by The1Bill, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Well, most of the 2GNT's I know can spin the tyres mostly, if not all the way, through 1st gear. We (5 speeds) can all bang and chirp into 2nd. I think that trading some high end increase for some low end loss (and subsequent additional traction) might not be a bad idea. Of course, if we had an option of increasing the revlimit, this would be a no brainer. C'mon Gary, finish the AF/X ECU... please?
-=B-=
20710, RE: removal of cat and resonator - straight pipe!
Trust us, do not remove that cat on a n/a 4 cylinder. Sure, it works great on V8s, but not the 420A. I would only remove the cat if you're gonna boost it. The 2gnt doesn't have enough low end torque, removing the cat will make it much worse, subsequently you'll hate it and put it back on. I've confirmed with lots of n/a 4 cylinder guys, it just doesn't work, plus your car will sound like a Honda and we all don't want that. ;)

Cody_

20711, RE: removal of cat and resonator - straight pipe!
Posted by Kirby, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
well since this thread is exaust related i have a glass pack and am using it as a muffler and it is way too loud it dosent sound like a honda though more like a harley so 1 quick question if the glass pack is supposed to quiet things down why is it so loud? does it only quiet stuff down when used with a muffler?
20712, RE: removal of cat and resonator - straight pipe!
Posted by iamnotwhoiam, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
gettin back to my question.. seems like a glasspack sorta makes it louder but helps muffle and a resonator makes it quiet.. but id like to hear from others that have more experience.. maybe ill start up another thread if needs be.
20713, RE: removal of cat and resonator - straight pipe!
my exhaust experience, i went from stock, to pfunksetter, to pfunk tubes and straightthru muff (5zigen), to pfunk tubes w/ ~26" glasspack and straighthru muff...

the last is the best soundin of them all... the pfunk resonator is about 1/3 the size of the stock resonator...

if u use a cherrybomb glasspack as a muffler, its not desingend to muffle, its designed to resonate the noise b4 it enters or goes thru the muffler...

if you are going to use your cat between race nights/days, just drop the whole exhuast pre-cat style...b4 u go racin of course ;-)

tia
I generated this page in 0.01448392868042 seconds, executing 7 queries.