Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectSkeptical about modding (please read)
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=1408
1408, Skeptical about modding (please read)
Posted by Dame_Flamez, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hi all, my name's Damien and I'm a 20 year old college student. My
parents moved out of the country and my mother gave me her 97
Eclipse. Since it was my mother's... of course it's an automatic RS.
2 strikes against me. Anyway, I want to mod it and make it really
quick, NA of course. I don't want to add any turbo or nitrous, but I
don't know if it's worth it to do anything to the RS. What do you
guys think. And if so, what should I do, in what order, to get the
best results? I was thinking intake, exhaust, header, chip... and i
want to put in new engine components like cam gears, rods, pistons,
pulleys, etc.... but i don't know the first thing about that. I just
know that it improves both HP and torque. What is a realistic HP and
torque gain I can see with around $2000 worth of mods? Mind you, I
plan on going the custom exhaust route to save me money, I
have a problem with spending $600 on an exhaust system when I can
achieve the same thing for around $250. Anyways, any help is GREATLY
appreciated.

Thanks a million
Damien

1409, RE: Skeptical about modding (please read)
Posted by EvMan2345, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Biggest problem i see with your plan is your tranny. I have an auto too and it is REALLY SLOW. Since its an auto, and you want to stay N/A, i dont find it worth it unless you want to spend like $1000 on transmission components. Thats just my opinion.

1410, RE: Skeptical about modding (please read)
Posted by guest, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I know that you said you are not going turbo but, if you are planning on spending 2g's you might as well get a stage one turbo for about that much. And you will be so much faster than N/A. As far as mods go here is the order I recommend...

1.AEM cold air intake
2.AFX under drive pulley (from howell automotive)
3.exhaust (GST exhaust is cheap and bolts right on)
4.GREDDY header (if not going turbo)
5.cam gears

DAVE_FL
97GS
AEM CAI
AFX PULLEY
AFX solid motor mount
Magnaflow exhaust
Sparkco 9mm wires
Eibach Pro Kit
tokico shocks
Altezzas
A Badass sound system
Indiglows,neons,and all that good stuff...hehe
looks mean doesn't it?

1411, RE: Skeptical about modding (please read)
Posted by EvuLFleA, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
NOS or Stage 1-2, exhaust, udp.

ICQ #2199879
AOL - EvuLFleA
stillk@geocites.com

1412, RE: Skeptical about modding (please read)
Posted by HadesOmega, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yeah go turbo. Well you don't have to, I'm happy with the way my car is right now but I've always wanted a turbo and it's really cheap HP to price ration (heh at least I think so, my wallet doesn't agree with me right now). But yeah if you want NA fun follow the stages on the 2gnt page. Get a CAI if you not going turbo and headers. Heh I agree with you on the custom exhuast I'm probably gonna do that after I get my turbo in. AFX pulley is also a good upgrade. I would also suggest that you upgrade the suspension. You could get some shox and springs and lower the car and possibly get new wheels if your running 14"s. Trust me when you upgrade your suspension you'll have fun driving your car around curves hehe.... do the strut bars last, well they don't make near as much a difference as springs and shox.

95 Mitsu Eclipse RS
AFX Pulley | Performance Muffler | Cold Air Intake | KYB AGX Shox | Skunk2 Coilovers | and 1 highly skilled driver |
1413, RE: Skeptical about modding (please read)
Posted by Michael_97RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I don't know that it ever came through, unfortunately I didn't have the money for it. Skrilla was planning out a stroker kit for us. With would be your best bet N/A for power, which would include some of my recommendations below.

If you truely want to go N/A, which I do... at first anyway. Build a high compression motor. port/polish and mill the head, I want to go 11.5:1. Get oversized valves, port match intake manifold to head and get a bored Throttle body, Cold air intake, Header, high flow cat, your custom exhaust work (2.5" piping), Crane Cams high compression camshafts when they are available, the AF/X Underdrive pulley, a nice clutch/lightenen flywheel combo and you should be running nice. Can this all be done for $2000 probably not more like $3000 if I remember my last round of dreaming and pricing things out. But I would think you could run with a stock turbo eclipse with these mods.

"To strive to seek to find... and not to yield."
Michael J. Kulaga e-mail: Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga Website: http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Injen CAI w/ K&N Breather filters, 55mm TB, FU/RU/RL STBs, Red silicone hose kit, 8.5mm Magnecor Wires, Bosch Rapidfire Plugs

And in my Room: Rear disc brake conversion kit, SS Brake Lines, GS-T Muffler, Intake manifold 4 porting, Energy Suspension Motor Mount Inserts. RRE FL Tie Bar(Well Almost), TSW Blade 17x7.5 (need tires)
1414, RE: Skeptical about modding (please read)
Posted by js99rs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
scrap the clutch...he has an auto.

aem cai
pacesetter headers
gs-t exhaust
red altezzas
rims, tires, and a bunch of other little stuff....that list is way too short....more will come!
1415, RE: Skeptical about modding (please read)
Posted by Michael_97RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yeah I guess I should actually read the post fully before I respond. Thanks. Then in that case go with a nice torque converter if not a nice shidt kit. I think levelten has some nice set ups

"To strive to seek to find... and not to yield."
Michael J. Kulaga e-mail: Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga Website: http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Injen CAI w/ K&N Breather filters, 55mm TB, FU/RU/RL STBs, Red silicone hose kit, 8.5mm Magnecor Wires, Bosch Rapidfire Plugs

And in my Room: Rear disc brake conversion kit, SS Brake Lines, GS-T Muffler, Intake manifold 4 porting, Energy Suspension Motor Mount Inserts. RRE FL Tie Bar(Well Almost), TSW Blade 17x7.5 (need tires)
I generated this page in 0.0093460083007812 seconds, executing 7 queries.