Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectcrank pulley install
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=138385
138385, crank pulley install
Posted by MCubed45, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey guys

I'm having trouble getting the crank pulley on all the way. There's maybe 1/4" left to go until it's in line with the other pulleys. We've just been torqueing it down using the crank bolt with a breaker bar but it's taking a ton of force and feels like it's not moving any more.

You're not supposed to hammer it on right?

Not sure what else to do. My friend was gonna try borrow an impact wrench to get it on the rest of the way..
138386, RE: crank pulley install
Posted by xcasbonx, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I took a 4x4 block of wood put it up against it and drove it on with a 5lb rubber mallet. Nearly 10 years later, no problems.
138387, RE: crank pulley install
Posted by J, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM

Alright, do this.......

Take the pulley, and put it in the oven @ 500' (however high it goes)... get some gloves (like for a grill), pull it out of the oven once its been heated up, and it *will* just slide right onto the crank like butter! It goes on very, very easy... and then you can take your block and make sure it's hammered on straight. You just want to make sure it's lined up w/ your other pulleys, that's all :)

- J

138388, RE: crank pulley install
Posted by MCubed45, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by xcasbonx
I took a 4x4 block of wood put it up against it and drove it on with a 5lb rubber mallet. Nearly 10 years later, no problems.

k maybe we'll give that a try if the impact doesn't work..

Originally posted by J
Alright, do this....... Take the pulley, and put it in the oven @ 500' (however high it goes)... get some gloves (like for a grill), pull it out of the oven once its been heated up, and it *will* just slide right onto the crank like butter! It goes on very, very easy... and then you can take your block and make sure it's hammered on straight. You just want to make sure it's lined up w/ your other pulleys, that's all :) - J

I read about that method too. But the pulley is almost completely on already. We'd have to go rent a puller again to get it off. Maybe if nothing else works we'll give that a try.

Thanks guys!
138389, RE: crank pulley install
Posted by J, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey, whatever works... the harmonic balancer aka pulley puller isn't terribly expensive, and nice to have... the oven method has always worked for me, just make sure the pulley is in line w/ others!

- J

138422, RE: crank pulley install
Posted by ej420a, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
+1 on the 'heating the pulley' method. I also keep another pulley to place in front of the one i'm installing to take the impact of the hammer/mallet I'm using. Even though once it's heated it is much easier to get on. Good luck!
138437, RE: crank pulley install
Posted by ej420a, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Any luck on getting that pulley installed? Did you end up using the heat method?
138499, RE: crank pulley install
Posted by dsmcrzy, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have always used the heat method like above. I'm just not a fan of whaling something onto the crankshaft.
138500, RE: crank pulley install
Posted by xcasbonx, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by dsmcrzy
I have always used the heat method like above. I'm just not a fan of whaling something onto the crankshaft.

It's not exactly "whaling" on it if you hold on to the block and use a 5lb deadblow. I could see that being a problem just using a regular hammer. I used the block for getting it on there initially then struck the pulley squarely for the rest of the way. For the record this is how I installed mine like I said above and the motors been solid for over 8 years.
I generated this page in 0.0099940299987793 seconds, executing 7 queries.