Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectStalling
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=137491
137491, Stalling
Posted by BlueMach5, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Thanks for reading ahead of time.

I have a 95GS that has a stalling issue. It is not throwing codes. The car will idle perfectly to operating temp and sit there untill I give it gas, rev the car afew times, car returns to idle then dies. Then cranks over and over. No start. How likely is it the ECU is dieing? I can drive the car about the same distance and the car will die on me and leave me stranded. Tips, advice, comments all appreciated please.

Thank you for reading.
137494, RE: Stalling
Posted by SilvrEclips, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Roomates car did the exact same thing. It would cut off once it got warmed up and then wouldnt start until it cooled all the way back down. His ECU ended up being the issue. I would try and swap if you can get a hold of one to try
137495, RE: Stalling
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Let's see you have a 95 (known ECU issues), that throws no codes with problems (which a bad ECU could do). It stalls all by itself when warmed up and won't restart (which a bad ECU would do) and you're looking for likelyhood of the ECU being bad? Um 76.56%?

I'm not saying its bad, but since you are looking at betting chances, that's my percentage :P

You got plenty of other things to check, but most of those things would throw a code, so that's why I'm giving that percentage. If I'm not suspecting ECU, I'm considering bad wires/contacts or maybe something to do with the front O2
137500, RE: Stalling
Thank you for your replys, I appreciate your time to respond to my vague question.

I have another quick question regarding the cam and crank position sensors. Do they share the same 9v signal from the ecu?

The cps is providing a 5v signal and I was recieving 8.8v from the ecu as well. The O2 sensor was recently replaced due to it actually coming out of the downpipe and whacking the ground afew times throwing off the A/F guage.

You mentioned a ground being bad or a barewire, if that was the case wouldnt the car show signs if it was hot or cold? Weird crazy crap happens with cars so I wouldnt put it past my luck.

Thanks again for your input.
137501, RE: Stalling
Posted by SilvrEclips, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The ECU doesnt look at the 02 sensor until closed loop is reached at a certain temp. I would think that if there was a short in it that it would also happen when cold as well. Have you checked for fuel and spark after the car has shut off and wont start back?
137502, RE: Stalling
The car looses spark once it does stall out.
137503, RE: Stalling
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
My direction/thought on the O2 is because you are talking about it being warmed up and then having a problem. As pointed out, the O2 does not come into play until you are in closed loop. Therefore, if there was a "problem" in that part of the "information stream", it would not appear until you are warmed up.

As with some breakdowns in wires, it may be heat sensitive, in that, once the car warms up, it generates the break. This also brings up the thought of the wires that go through the harness around the egr. Heat sensitive.

You say its spark that is lost, so maybe the direction is looking at those egr wires and the cam sensor/crank sensor "conversation" (as in their conversation with each other and possibility of one of them being bad). Also, since it is definitely spark, that same wire loom that runs around the egr contains wires for the coil etc. Maybe next time it happens, you do a shake and bake on that loom and see if you can get spark back (if you want to do some checking in this area, Terry does a pretty good job directing in the beginning of this long ass thread; http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=131904&mesg_id=131904&page=&topic_page=1 )

Keep in mind that this is all after my high percentage that it may be the ECU. You're kinda looking for "alternative" reasons for this to happen (plus it leaves me an out should it not be the ECU lol ;-) )
137525, RE: Stalling
Thank you again for all your input in helping resolve my issue. I will definitly put this to use. I had another question in the event its an ECU issue. My 95 is Mtx, would or is there a difference in a 95 MTX to 95 ATX Ecu?
I generated this page in 0.0082390308380127 seconds, executing 7 queries.