Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subject60mm throttle body install
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=137377
137377, 60mm throttle body install
Posted by Rude55, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey guys I just installed a jeep 60mm throttle body and have a few questions. Car is idling at 2000 sometimes a bit higher rpm and it normally idles at about 1000 slightly less. Wondering what happens to the vac line that went on the 2gnt throttle body as my jeep tb has no nipple for one? I do not have an empty spot on my manifold so what are my options? Which vac line should i remove to compensate for this one?

Also as for the idling issues I have tried tightening (turning clockwise) the IAC tip and I'm not having much luck. Like an idiot I didnt really compare it to the height of the 2gnt tip so some help on this issue would be great. Thanks.
137378, RE: 60mm throttle body install
Posted by SilvrEclips, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The IAC should find its own position once you turn the key on. You did plug up the hole under the TB right. Just T that vac line into another line of the intake manifold
137379, RE: 60mm throttle body install
I bought the tb already modded from someone on this forum. It's off a 95 jeep there doesn't even look like there was a spot to have cut the nipple off from the bottom
Of the TB so nothing to plug. Can having that extra vac line
Not connected anywhere be the cause? Any other suggestions ?
137380, RE: 60mm throttle body install
Im talking about the old IAC hole in the intake manifold. The Jeep TB only covers up half of this hole and you must plug it or you will have a huge vac leak. This is the hole I was talking about

I dont remember what that line goes to (Im thinking EGR IIRC) so I would T is back in for sure
137381, RE: 60mm throttle body install
Oh yes I plugged it with a 1/2 inch button plug and silicone. I will purchase a tee tomorrow and try that out thanks for the input.
137382, RE: 60mm throttle body install
One way I check for leaks in the intake is to have the car idling and put your hand over inlet, the car should die immediately, if it hesitates or doesnt die you have an intake leak somewhere. If it does die then you have an IAC or throttle plate issue. I would make sure the throttle plate is closing all the way as well
137387, RE: 60mm throttle body install
I'll also try that to see if there's an intake leak. I used cork gasket material for the TB + RTV could that be the issue?
137392, RE: 60mm throttle body install
I just use rtv, your probably fine with both tho
137396, RE: 60mm throttle body install
So I did the check for an intake leak the upper gasket cracked so I got a new one and sealed it and when I did the hand over the inlet the motor died out. You mentioned this could be an IAC or throttle plate issue. What is supposed to happen when I plug the inlet then?

When the car is on its idling at 2100-2500 rpm. If I open the throttle it revs normally and then drops to about 1000rpm but will immediately shoot up to 2100-2500 and idle there.

I confused the two tips (eclipse and jeep) is there anyway of deciphering a difference between the two? One is bigger than the other in terms of thickness I'm assuming its the jeep tip?

From what I understand from the write up-- eclipse IAC with jeep tip is what is needed.

Thanks for the input so far.
137397, RE: 60mm throttle body install
The motor should die immediately like you said. So that means you either have your throttle plate cracked open to much, it should have an adjustment screw to hold it open. Or its an IAC issue. The jeep IAC tip has the larger diameter than the 420a tip.

When I ran my jeep TB I just blocked off the IAC and used the throttle plate to set idle so Im not sure how well that work in the first place.
137398, RE: 60mm throttle body install
Ok. One more thing I sent my throttle Body attached to the manifold to get the manifold Opened up to the same 60mm opening. I kept the plate plate at home and when I tried putting it back in it wouldn't even fit it was like the plate was too big I forced it in using the back of a screwdriver but the throttle wouldn't even open. So I took some sand paper and went around the plate until it fit. Could that be my issue ? I only sanded very little and if you look through the tb when it's off the manifold you can see any light around where I shaved off.
137399, RE: 60mm throttle body install
Throttle plates seem to fit best 1 way. You should always put them back the way they came apart. If you hold the throttle body to the light there should only be a small amount of light between the plate the bore.
137400, RE: 60mm throttle body install
Ok ill check that out I think the plate might even be too tight still. I find if i push against the throttle piece which connects to the cable ( as if i were to do the opposite of open the throttle) the rpms will drop down to about 1200. If i hit the gas sometimes the rpms stick and if they do drop down they shoot back up to idle high again. Also the car seems to be sputtering? Does that indicate any different issues?
137408, RE: 60mm throttle body install
Posted by Gruff511, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I think it might be the ECU. When i did this mod mine acted the same way kinda and when I switched ecu's it didn't. I found out the ecu was losing steps in the IAC motor.
137414, RE: 60mm throttle body install
You switched the ECU to what? A new stock one or MS?
137415, RE: 60mm throttle body install
I switched it to a stock oem one i found in the junk yard. But then a couple months later that ecu started doing the same thing, so then i switched to Megasquirt lol
137416, RE: 60mm throttle body install
If it idled fine with the stock TB that I dont think that the ECU is the issue
137423, RE: 60mm throttle body install
And have you switched back to the stock TB since you got this problem? if so then try a different IAC valve.
137482, RE: 60mm throttle body install
Hey guys so i ended up putting the 2gnt tb back on and it idled perfectly fine. So i ordered a new jeep iac motor with needle and i tried the 60mm jeep tb again upon start up it idles at about 11-1200 which is normal. It kinda bounces up and down very little but if i even touch the gas slightly it revs and climbs high and will stay there. The only way i bring it back down is by manually closing the butterfly from the engine bay. So im guessing it has to do 100% with that plate and possibly the spring not allowing it to close all the way?

Thanks sorry for the lateness.
137484, RE: 60mm throttle body install
Sounds like there might be a problem with the throttle plate. Might be time to just cut your loses and upgrade to a bored out stock TB. I can hook you up with one at a decent price if your interested. PM me
I generated this page in 0.0086009502410889 seconds, executing 7 queries.