Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subject99 Eclipse
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=137351
137351, 99 Eclipse
Posted by Marie34, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Any help will be greatly appreciated. I recently got a 99 Eclipse 2.0 (auto, nonturbo) for my daughter in trade for an old camaro I had.The car wouldn't turn over when I got it. I replaced the coil pack, wires and plugs as well as the steering coloumn (which it desperatly needed) It would turn over, but not crank. This afternoon we were testing all sensors and when we unplugged the camshaft sensor, the car started, though it won't idle and I had to keep the gas pedal pressed for it to stay running. Replaced camshaft sensor, still the same problem. Tested connector with a tester and it lit up fine. Traced wires back and didn't see a short, though the connector was spliced to the wiring harness. If someone could please point me in the right direction of what to try next it would great.

Thanks,
Marie
137353, RE: 99 Eclipse
Posted by SilvrEclips, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Are you getting fuel or spark when the cam sensor is plugged in? Do you here the fuel pump prime when you turn the ignition on?
137354, RE: 99 Eclipse
Originally posted by SilvrEclips
Are you getting fuel or spark when the cam sensor is plugged in? Do you here the fuel pump prime when you turn the ignition on?

Getting fuel and spark when plugged in and can hear the fuel pump kick on. We've checked every little thing we can think of.

Marie

137355, RE: 99 Eclipse
Posted by Fotowntalon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Are you getting fuel? You say you hear the fuel pump prime, but that doesn't mean have good fuel pressure, or a good fuel filter/injectors.
137357, RE: 99 Eclipse
Originally posted by Fotowntalon
Are you getting fuel? You say you hear the fuel pump prime, but that doesn't mean have good fuel pressure, or a good fuel filter/injectors.

We checked and we have fuel getting to the fuel rail. Just got done replacing the crankshaft sensor, still doing the same thing. It will run as long as you keep the gas pedal pressed. How would I go about checking the injectors?
137358, RE: 99 Eclipse
Posted by CODE4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I recommend installing a fuel pressure tester at the test port on the fuel rail.

Also, you have not mentioned any Check Engine codes. Newer vehicles have the OBDII port for a reason - so people are not just throwing money at replacing random sensors hoping for a fix.

Does the light illuminate when the key is on? Does it turn off after a few seconds? A problem such as this should have accompanying OBDII trouble codes. Grab them, and compare them to an appropriate google list of codes.
137359, RE: 99 Eclipse
Originally posted by CODE4
I recommend installing a fuel pressure tester at the test port on the fuel rail. Also, you have not mentioned any Check Engine codes. Newer vehicles have the OBDII port for a reason - so people are not just throwing money at replacing random sensors hoping for a fix. Does the light illuminate when the key is on? Does it turn off after a few seconds? A problem such as this should have accompanying OBDII trouble codes. Grab them, and compare them to an appropriate google list of codes.

I'll try that with the fuel rail. The reason I don't have any codes listed is because I don't have a tester and have no way to get this car to a parts house and they don't loan them out here. This is a car I was lucky to get in trade and considering me and my sister are the ones workin on it I think we've done pretty well so far. Especially conisdering the car wouldn't even turn over when we got it. We're both learning as we go, I started with the most simple things first, in all honesty it doesn't hurt replacing the parts we have, it probably needed it anyway. I'm not sure how long the car was sitting before I got it.
137361, RE: 99 Eclipse
I never knocked your abilities. However there is no basis for you assumption that these sensors "probably" needed replacing. OEM sensors last for hundreds of thousands of miles without failure. I am simply attempting to help you diagnose the problem with minimal out of pocket costs.

Again, the OBDII diagnostic system is there to aid in technical diagnosis. No one here is going to give you a solution via the Internet without knowing the reason. The reason is there inb your computer - so the most logical step to fix your problem is to grab a code reader of some sort - beg, borrow, or steal, and download the code.

Until then, you can replace all the parts you want without any certainty they will solve the issue at hand.
137362, RE: 99 Eclipse
Posted by armyguy1027, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Marie34
Originally posted by CODE4 I recommend installing a fuel pressure tester at the test port on the fuel rail. Also, you have not mentioned any Check Engine codes. Newer vehicles have the OBDII port for a reason - so people are not just throwing money at replacing random sensors hoping for a fix. Does the light illuminate when the key is on? Does it turn off after a few seconds? A problem such as this should have accompanying OBDII trouble codes. Grab them, and compare them to an appropriate google list of codes.
I'll try that with the fuel rail. The reason I don't have any codes listed is because I don't have a tester and have no way to get this car to a parts house and they don't loan them out here. This is a car I was lucky to get in trade and considering me and my sister are the ones workin on it I think we've done pretty well so far. Especially conisdering the car wouldn't even turn over when we got it. We're both learning as we go, I started with the most simple things first, in all honesty it doesn't hurt replacing the parts we have, it probably needed it anyway. I'm not sure how long the car was sitting before I got it.

Im not sure if you have figured this out but doing a search in the wikki on here you can find the keydance article. That has helped me before i got my scanner and can give you the codes via a series of flashing lights. Then take the code you get and compare it to the codes listed in the wikki as well. Keep searching and i gaurentee you can find the info your looking for on this site. Has litterly saved me hundreds of dollors getting my car up and going at times.
137363, RE: 99 Eclipse
No key dance on 99 models.
137364, RE: 99 Eclipse
Posted by armyguy1027, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
No key dance on 99 models.

OK lol see what i mean though always learn something new. I didn't know that about 99 .
137366, RE: 99 Eclipse
Loaded the car up on a trailer today and took it to the parts store. They put a computer on it, the only thing is shows is a problem with the camshaft position sensor. Returned the one I had put on it, thinking it may have been faulty, no luck. Still does the same thing. I really don't want to take anything apart with the fuel injection if I dont have too. Any other suggestions?
137367, RE: 99 Eclipse
What code? What kind of problem with the Camshaft Position Sensor?

There are several, P0341 through P0344 that describe varying problems with the circuit. A sensor by itself may not necessarily be your issue. There could be plenty of problems that exist in the connector or related wiring. This is not a guessing game - utilize the reported code to test the circuit.
137368, RE: 99 Eclipse
What code? What kind of problem with the Camshaft Position Sensor? There are several, P0341 through P0344 that describe varying problems with the circuit. A sensor by itself may not necessarily be your issue. There could be plenty of problems that exist in the connector or related wiring. This is not a guessing game - utilize the reported code to test the circuit.

He didn't give us the code. I think my next step is going to be to trace the wire back from the connector for any knicks or breaks. I'm gonna check the connector too. We noticed earlier where some of the wires from the harness had been spliced together.
137369, RE: 99 Eclipse
You need to grab the code as that will point you in the direction of an open or shorted circuit, or anything other specific condition that is at the root of your problem. Otherwise, you are just guessing.
I generated this page in 0.0160071849823 seconds, executing 7 queries.