Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectCore support replacement
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=137057
137057, Core support replacement
Posted by mxracer04, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
When I bought my 96 Talon the bottom of the core support was a little bent up and just the other week I hit a deer and it bent where the passenger headlight mounts to backwards a little. I was talking to the guy who is going to put a new one in for me and he was saying that he need a cross bar reference(I believe thats what he said). Would anyone have any idea on what that is or where on earth to find it? I am most likely going to a junk yard and getting the core support because there is one here that has a good one so could I get the measurements off of that one before they cut it out(as long as I know where I am measuring?)?
137060, RE: Core support replacement
Posted by QC DSM ESiT, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'm in the process or replacing my core support now (along with other body work on the drivers side) and in order to replace the core support the best way I seen with minimal amount of welding is to drill out the spot welds that connect it to the frame horns and to the fender unibody area. There are about 20 spot welds on each side (so around 40 total for one radiator support) that will need to be drilled/chiseled out in order for the support to slip off. If you are going to use the support from a junkyard car I would suggest just taking a sawzall and cutting the entire front end from the strut area forward (that way you will know for sure you will have the section needed). Drill out the spot welds on both supports and swap them around. Then weld, grind, and paint match. This is what most body shops would do anyway.
137061, RE: Core support replacement
Posted by dalesmitsu, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have to do this also and fix passanger side. lol I'm buying a brand new one from jnztuning.com or rockauto.com they sell whole complete support for mid 220ish or lower support under 200 with a small discount from either 2gnt or dsmtuners. Aint bad at all.

There's a good thread on dsmtuners in custom fabrication section. Of someone from canada who replaced there whole lower support. Ver good in depth how to.

I'll see if I can dig it up and post it for you.
137075, RE: Core support replacement
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Sounds like he is asking you for the cross sectional measurements which you must have to weld in a core support properly. Unless you work for a body shop I dont know a single place you will get those measurements. Taking them off another car is not wise.

Call a body shop and ask them for the printout. It will be an overhead diagram of your front end and have about 12 measurements on it. These are all used when strainghtening a frame of a car (yes its done with a tape measure!)

Since you hit somethign with the front end, he prolly wont do this without the measurements to safeguarge himself from the possability you have any shifting of the frame or fender rails.

The only other alternative he has is to weld in a lot of additional structure braces while he cuts off the core support and welds the replacement in. I personally do this anyway but it requires you to bring a rolling shell or pay to disassemble the engine bay. Then you have to sign a waiver that you accept any liability for possible frame misalignment.

If you only need the lower portion replaced then as long as he cuts under the frame rails, there isnt an issue. For that section i cut laterally under the top foglight bolt so that the three fog bolts can be used for alignment.

Terry
137135, RE: Core support replacement
Posted by mxracer04, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Thank you star, that was exactly what I was talking about. I called a local body shop and they can print it out and when I get off work I can go pick it up. I will try and scan it and post it on here so that way other people will have access to it. Thanks for all the input.
137136, RE: Core support replacement
Posted by QC DSM ESiT, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by mxracer04
Thank you star, that was exactly what I was talking about. I called a local body shop and they can print it out and when I get off work I can go pick it up. I will try and scan it and post it on here so that way other people will have access to it. Thanks for all the input.

If you can get that info here that would be extremely helpful as I know the core support is a very thin piece of metal and can be bent very easily in a front end collision.
137137, RE: Core support replacement
Posted by blindboarder_02, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
How important is the appearance of the spot you're fixing?

I ask because when you get done grinding, get some duraglass or Everglass and spread it onto the area like frosting. Wait to dry, sand smooth, apply a thin layer of bondo or poly-fill and sand it with 320 grit until smooth. Not shiny smooth, just enough to get primer/sealer/paint to stick nicely.

That's if you plan to cover it all up. If it's not of importance, dis-regard what I said.

I generated this page in 0.0096509456634521 seconds, executing 7 queries.