Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectPiston ring issues
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=136880
136880, Piston ring issues
Posted by flamineclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey guys, I'd like to see if anyone else has ran into this problem. I'm currently rebuild a motor that had about 2000 miles on it. It has JE's and eagle rods. My problem is this, I wanted to re-ring with JE's rings but the ones for these pistons seem to be obsolete. I talked to JE and they said it'd cost me at least $200 for them to get me the correct rings. What have you guys found to re-ring with on the old pistons while rebuilding?

136881, RE: Piston ring issues
Posted by dougie2, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
That's incorrect - they are special order right now, but they run around $100 per set, depending on which style piston you have.

Also, you can run another brand of piston ring if you like, just order them by bore size and ring thickness. JE makes awesome rings though.
136882, RE: Piston ring issues
Originally posted by dougie2
That's incorrect - they are special order right now, but they run around $100 per set, depending on which style piston you have. Also, you can run another brand of piston ring if you like, just order them by bore size and ring thickness. JE makes awesome rings though.

I know, their rings are tough and I really wanted to use them but there is no way I'm gonna spend $200 for them. I called them and they told me I'd have to buy two sets to get the correct rings. Take the oil ring from one and the wipers from another and them have them custom ground. It was one big crazy mess. What other manufacturer would you guys recommend, Hastings, Total Seal? My slugs are apparently pretty old they have no date or part # etched on them so according to JE they are older than Jan 04. The widths on the piston are 1.5mm, 1.5mm and 3mm. I think the newer ones are 1.2, 1.2 and like 2.8.

136883, RE: Piston ring issues
Posted by Fotowntalon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have Total Seals gap less, but don't have them installed yet. From what I hear from customers (and I talk to more racing people than the majority on a daily basis) 50% swear by them and will never use another ring, the other 50% hate them... sooo take your pick. You basically have JE, Total Seal, and I'd imagine Wiseco or Mahle could get you some rings.
136884, RE: Piston ring issues
Posted by dougie2, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I don't think you're going to find an 88mm ring set in the 1.5-1.5-3.0 variety without buying two sets of rings. I've checked every piston ring manufacturer I can think of and none of them have a listing for those specs.

Are you sure that your JE pistons are 1.5-1.5-3.0??? The older style JE pistons had 1.2-1.2-3.0 rings, and the newer style has 1.0-1.2-2.8 rings, but I don't ever remember a set like yours. Did you measure them directly and are you sure your measurements are accurate?
136885, RE: Piston ring issues
Posted by sterling, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I actually ran into this problem this past fall. I didn't realize they had changed when I ordered new rings. The old style pistons are a 1.0 x 1.2 x 2.8 and the new ones are 1.2 x 1.2 x 3.0. I called modern performance when I ran into this problem and they found a set on hand that would work. This was on 88mm pistons. The part number is JG1004-3465.
136886, RE: Piston ring issues
Posted by JoshDSM, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Im using total seal gapless rings. so far so good and my build is at 1000 miles. Only thing I cant figure out is my misfire issue but that could be due to crappy MSD parts.
136887, RE: Piston ring issues
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have it on good info (my machinist to JE themselves) that JE rings are made by Hastings. We went back and forth with them one time (sourcing out sizes or something) and found out that Hastings makes the JE rings. I've always liked the JE rings and Hastings rings have been around for years and years with a relatively good reputation.

I don't know if that helps but just a little info.
136895, RE: Piston ring issues
Just wanted to update this. You were right about the size, it is 1.2, 1.2, 3.0. My digital calipers were reading off. My parts guy ordered them yesterday, I got the Hastings rings and he ordered ACL bearings. I've never used them before but look like alot of people like them.

I generated this page in 0.014847993850708 seconds, executing 7 queries.