Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectHahn Racecraft FMIC /w Stage 2 turbosystem - running warm after rebuild
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=134580
134580, Hahn Racecraft FMIC /w Stage 2 turbosystem - running warm after rebuild
Posted by Eclipsedrivr2002, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey guys,

Just got a nerw motor put into my 95 Eclipse RS with the stage 2 hahn racecraft turbo system and I am having a bit of an overheat issue. At an idle the car runs fine and the temp needle is a bit below the middle but after I drive the vehicle on the interstate for about 20-30 minutes then hop into heavy traffic or sit in traffic for over an hour or so the temp needle begins to rise up on me. I currently have a fluidyne radiator and a flex-a-lite fans which I had hardwired to my ac so when I turn on the AC both fans spin at the same time. (I then later found out that having the fans running when the ac kicks on actually will make the car run hotter, so I plan to move the to a hardwired toggle switch which will be fused.) (Everything in the cooling system has been checked and all are new parts, only things that are not brand new are the flex-a-lite fans and the fluidyne radiator. I did a simple paper test by putting a piece of paper between the intercooler and the condenser for the AC and the paper didnt move. I then put a piece of paper between the condenser and the radiator and the paper began to move slightly. It is obvious that it is an airflow problem at this point. Here are a few of the ideas I came up with to try to solve this problem.

- Hardwire the FAL fans to a toggle switch and have them always running
- Install a second set of fans to go between the intercooler and the condenser to help push air across the radiator while the original fans behind the radiator are set to pull air through the radiator.

I already have a bottle of water wetter which I will use when I go in to install the second set of fans later this week, has anyone else tried to install a second set of fans to assist in airflow, and if so, which brand/size did they go with. I dunno how beneficial it would be to try to modify the hood/headlights for additional airflow being that to really assist in the cooling I need to get the air across the radiator, not so much in the motor bay, granted I am sure it couldn't hurt. Thanks for the advice guys, I did a bit of searching, but I didn't see anyone with any information regarding an install of a second set of fans. Here is a quick snapshot of the motor in the car, so you can see the current set up. I also have a bodykit front bumper, I believe it's an aggressive bumper.

134581, RE: Hahn Racecraft FMIC /w Stage 2 turbosystem - running warm after rebuild
A couple more shots of what I have and how things look as of now.

134589, RE: Hahn Racecraft FMIC /w Stage 2 turbosystem - running warm after rebuild
Bump
134590, RE: Hahn Racecraft FMIC /w Stage 2 turbosystem - running warm after rebuild
Posted by CODE4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Sit in traffic for over an hour? In Westwego?

Does this overheating only occur after freeway driving? Are the fans on when this situation happens (have you physically verified it)?

As far as mounting pusher fans, any fan that physically fits will work.
134591, RE: Hahn Racecraft FMIC /w Stage 2 turbosystem - running warm after rebuild
Posted by 2ndGen-ElTalon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I hear when you downsize to the Fluidyne Radiatior, its almost a must to also have a pusher fan.

Another local DSMer around here was running a stage 1 Hahn kit last summer, he was having slight issue's similar to you. Especially when you have to mount 2 new Smaller puller fans just to keep air moving, it gets a little cluttered in the bay & you need fresh air flowing in.

We ended up doing a 8" Pusher Fan aswell, hidden very nicely in a FAT 2GB front bumper.

Jeff.
134593, RE: Hahn Racecraft FMIC /w Stage 2 turbosystem - running warm after rebuild
Posted by Wes Tank, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I had a problem similar with my stock radiator. I fixed the problem by having two 8" pusher fans. They are connected to the factory fan output and only go on when needed. I have NO puller fans.
134594, RE: Hahn Racecraft FMIC /w Stage 2 turbosystem - running warm after rebuild
Originally posted by CODE4
Sit in traffic for over an hour? In Westwego? Does this overheating only occur after freeway driving? Are the fans on when this situation happens (have you physically verified it)? As far as mounting pusher fans, any fan that physically fits will work.

Well Westwego is a suburb of New Orleans, so once I get off the interstate and have to fight with traffic to get where I am going I then notice a problem with the heat.

At an idle, the motor does not overheat at all, or for short distances of driving. Whenever I get into heavy heavy stop and go traffic ( Driving a mile ever hour or hour and a half) or rushhour traffic where I have to drive for a long period of time, then get into heavy traffic, I then notice a problem. I have checked that when the vehicle is beginning to run hot, or when the needle begins to rise, I usually hop out and verify that the fans are in fact working, which they are.

I guess I will try to install some pusher fans in front of the condenser and see if that helps alleviate my problem - I might even try doing some mild duct work to help channel the air around and under the intercooler and to the the radiator better, thanks for the input.
I generated this page in 0.010542154312134 seconds, executing 7 queries.