Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectalternator belt issue
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=134569
134569, alternator belt issue
Posted by ozeclipse99, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey so I got this issue with my alternator. The bolt for the tensioner is GONE! I dont know where it went, i'm guessing it fell off well I was driving. How am I supposed to get the belt off, and re-use it. Can I use the bolt from the tensioner on the power steering pump? The guys at dsmtalk told me to use a pry bar, like on a 4g63 (420a here) I tried it, and I understand what there saying because it's the same concept on my gsx, but it doesn't work on the 420a design. Anybody got any ideas? This is driving me nuts.
134570, RE: alternator belt issue
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Um, did you loosen your bottom bolt?
134571, RE: alternator belt issue
Posted by 740 turbo brick, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Which bolt is gone, the one that locks it in place or the one on the back you use to tension the belt?
134572, RE: alternator belt issue
Posted by 2ndGen-ElTalon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I know which bolt is gone, Because this EXACT SAME THING, just happened to me this winter.

As many of you know, I was undergoing my engine swap, and when I made it to the alt, there was no Tensioner Bolt "bolt that adjust tension lower/higher" It bolts parallel with the alternator, through the bracket, pointing towards front of engine, comes close to bolt hitting block.

I was having quite a PITA trying to figure out how the hell to get it out, then it hit me, the previous owner had my alternator tension set by, simply bolting the bracket to the block, and using a "through bolt" on the upper mounting point.

Bolt alternator/bracket to block, as an ASSEMBLY, then where you're 2 tensioner bolts are supposed to go on the bracket, just use one 2" bolt & a nut behind the bracket, adjust belt tension to liking, tighten you're newly installed bolt & nut on the alternator bracket. ALL DONE!

So anytime you need to change tension/pull belts, you simply remove the NEW bolt and Nut at the top mounting point of you're alt, and she slides easily front/back.

Good Luck, I'll get pics if you absolutely need them. OH BTW, easiest to achieve this from underneath.

Jeff.
134576, RE: alternator belt issue
Well, I will give that a go! I'll send roses if it works.
134603, RE: alternator belt issue
im having a hard time with this lol
134604, RE: alternator belt issue
cam i leave it how it is and loosen the bolt from underneath? Or do I have to ditch the bracket first.
134637, RE: alternator belt issue
Posted by 2ndGen-ElTalon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
No, once you are all said and done, installed with simply the alternator bolted to the bracket, bolted to the block normally, Then where your long 4" tensioner bolt should be, you put a new bolt in horizontal of where the tensioner bolt SHOULD be. So instead of having the 2 bolts for the tensioner assembly, its just the one, without the long 4" inch bolt.

So, when you finally get it snug enough to the point where its not going to fall, use a wrench, screwdriver, prybar, I don't care, just don't fuck up your wiring down there. DO IT FROM UNDERNEATH, with tension applied by prybar, you should be able to tighten your new bolt/nut combo snug enough to hold it in place, it takes a steady hand on the prybar, but it can be done. Also may help to just hold it there, close to where it should be, and apply tension, have a friend tighten it, when I first changed my belt on it, I didn't even realize the tensioner bolt was missing, it seemed like a pretty straightforward, yet normal alternator. But once you try to get it in/out, quite a bitch.

You have the right idea, its just fitting both hands & wrench & prybar in at the same time thats tough.

Remember too, if you don't figure it out this way eventually, just goto the junkyard and yank a new tensioner bolt assembly, I think its the same bolts as the 2.0 on the 2.4 too, just different brackets. One of you 2.4 guys correct me if I'm wrong here.

Jeff.

EDIT: Sorry, of course you will have you're alternator belt on for this too. Main detail and whatnot.
I generated this page in 0.010950088500977 seconds, executing 7 queries.