Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectWhat is this hole in my throttle body for?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=132778
132778, What is this hole in my throttle body for?
Posted by bnisson, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
On the timing belt end there is as hole below the MAP sensor that is a HUGE vacuum leak... what is it for?

Its the hole in the background on the end of the upper intake

132781, RE: What is this hole in my throttle body for?
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Huh? What hole? What throttle body? You are showing a pic of some OBX adjustable timing belt gears......
132782, RE: What is this hole in my throttle body for?
I said something along the lines of "in the background" in my original post.

please don't make me circle the hole in paint....

If you are looking at the picture the hole is above the area of the timing belt cover closest to the firewall. It is in the dead center of a polished piece right below the MAP sensor.
132783, RE: What is this hole in my throttle body for?
Posted by CODE4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by bnisson
I said something along the lines of "in the background" in my original post. please don't make me circle the hole in paint.... If you are looking at the picture the hole is above the area of the timing belt cover closest to the firewall. It is in the dead center of a polished piece right below the MAP sensor.

That is your missing link. I assume you know what is for right?
132788, RE: What is this hole in my throttle body for?
i have no idea. please enlighten me
132789, RE: What is this hole in my throttle body for?
Search "missing link" and you can find everything about it. It is an adapter for your MAP sensor for turbo applications. You bought your car already turbo'ed I assume then?
132790, RE: What is this hole in my throttle body for?
yea i did.

i just read all about the thing, and i understand what it does.. but how is the HUGE vacuum leak supposed to help?
132791, RE: What is this hole in my throttle body for?
If the missing link is open during vac conditions, then the unit has failed. I have never used one so I am not sure if you can clean or service it, but check for yourself. Otherwise better get a new one.
132792, RE: What is this hole in my throttle body for?
Originally posted by CODE4
If the missing link is open during vac conditions, then the unit has failed. I have never used one so I am not sure if you can clean or service it, but check for yourself. Otherwise better get a new one.

so you're saying when i'm idling, there shouldn't be vacuum coming through the ML?
132793, RE: What is this hole in my throttle body for?
Correct. It prevents the MAP sensor from seeing boost. It should vent during vacuum conditions.

And by the way, your throttle body has nothing to do with this thread.
132794, RE: What is this hole in my throttle body for?
yea, i mistakenly put throttle body because i wasn't thinking straight and assumed the whole upper intake as the "throttle body" hahaha

but i guess i'm get up under the hood, take it off and see if its repairable, and if not order a new one.

thanks for the help!
132798, RE: What is this hole in my throttle body for?
Posted by Ebster1085, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Do yourself a favor and scrap that thing for an electronic FCD or Hahn fuel mapper. Game, set, match.
132799, RE: What is this hole in my throttle body for?
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by bnisson
I said something along the lines of "in the background" in my original post. please don't make me circle the hole in paint.... If you are looking at the picture the hole is above the area of the timing belt cover closest to the firewall. It is in the dead center of a polished piece right below the MAP sensor.

You have hurt my butt. Yes, yes I will make you circle the hole in paint.

Don't get wise-ass if you don't know what you are talking about.

132802, RE: What is this hole in my throttle body for?
Posted by 420agreenvilleSC, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
that 'hole' is there for a small fine filter. It comes with new missing link purchases, but sometimes misplaced or people simply run out of it. you can use the same material as a cigarrette bud filter. cut some to size, squeeze it in there, and tape the top/bottom halves, but let it breathe.
I generated this page in 0.0087740421295166 seconds, executing 7 queries.