Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectEngine Install Headache
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=127836
127836, Engine Install Headache
Posted by DanKid, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Well after months of having my car on jack stands and slowly replacing my blown motor with a used built one, I finally finished the install yesterday only to find that the motor is gushing coolant. ;( I had put in a new water pump, oil pump, timing belt, and tensioner before the install and double checked everything so I don't know what could be wrong. It's hard to see exactly where the leak is coming from because of the full timing belt cover but the coolant seems like it's coming from either the timing belt area or the t-housing. I re-installed the t-housing and will see if it solved the problem when I get out of work today but it's just wishful thinking.

I honestly don't know where to turn from here and was hoping for some input. Should I just have the car towed to a shop who can fix the problem or should I pull the motor again and take it to a shop to save some money? I'm really broke and with the holidays coming up soon I can't afford to shell out thousands to get the car running again but I miss driving my car. Sorry for the long post. Just looking for guidance from more expierenced members since i'm a newb when it comes to motors.
127837, RE: Engine Install Headache
Posted by ez, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I wouldn't quit and have it towed. Instead, remove the timing belt cover and look at your water pump while the engine is on. Redo the water pump install IMO - I bet that's your issue. Unless you are very careful with the install, the little gasket may fall out of the groove when you are putting it on (dab a little RTV on the gasket to hold it in place).
127840, RE: Engine Install Headache
Thanks for the quick reply ez. Yeah the little gasket on the water pump might have slipped off like you say cause that sucker didn't want to stay in the grove when I was installing the pump.
127842, RE: Engine Install Headache
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by ez
Instead, remove the timing belt cover and look at your water pump while the engine is on. Redo the water pump install IMO - I bet that's your issue. Unless you are very careful with the install, the little gasket may fall out of the groove when you are putting it on (dab a little RTV on the gasket to hold it in place).

96.35% probablility of being correct........

127845, RE: Engine Install Headache
Posted by 420agreenvilleSC, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i always put a teeeny bead of RTV on that gasket. it never stays on upon installation.
127847, RE: Engine Install Headache
Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC
i always put a teeeny bead of RTV on that gasket. it never stays on upon installation.

Sucks that a bit of RTV could have saved me from having to go through all this trouble. I had the engine out when I installed all the new parts so it was easy. I can't imagine how hard it's going to be to remove the pump now that the motor is in the car. I have big hands and everything seems so tight in that timing belt area. :wallbash
127848, RE: Engine Install Headache
Posted by CODE4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I do not intend to be a dick, but if the motor was out on a stand then that water pump o-ring should have no excuse to fall out/dislodge really.

But hindsight 20/20. As for remove/replace in the vehicle, I have big hands as well and it can be done without too much trouble. Are you still running timing belt covers? If not it will save you a little bit of labor.
127849, RE: Engine Install Headache
Originally posted by CODE4
Are you still running timing belt covers? If not it will save you a little bit of labor.

Yeah i'm still running full covers. Yeah you're right that it shouldn't have happened but it was my first time ever messing around with a motor or water pump/timing belt install so I guess shit happens, lesson learned.
127850, RE: Engine Install Headache
Looks like it was a false alarm. :P I had re-installed the thermostat housing and put in a new gasket with a good amount of sealant all around yesterday before calling it a day. I just poured some water in the cooling system and there's no more fluid leak. :+

I still haven't been able to start the car but will be making an attempt tomorrow after I pick up some more antifreeze. Any last minute suggestions before I fire it up tomorrow?
I generated this page in 0.014304876327515 seconds, executing 7 queries.