Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectAccessory belt problems...
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=127757
127757, Accessory belt problems...
Posted by keislij, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey guys, I did search around a bit, but here is the problem anyway. In the past few months while driving I've noticed that if I get the rpm's past 6k i end up losing my accessory belt. No loose pulleys, all looks to be aligned. I did notice a small chip on the crank pully, it is on the outer wall and is missing about 1/4 an inch and I was curious if this could be the problem?
127762, RE: Accessory belt problems...
Posted by 420agreenvilleSC, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
either the chip or alignment. You say its aligned, but it may not be. I've done it myself. get a long straight edge, see what you get.
127763, RE: Accessory belt problems...
Posted by Ebster1085, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
^ Agreed

The chip could def throw it off, but Id say its more likely slightly misaligned.
127764, RE: Accessory belt problems...
Posted by azdave, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I don't see anywhere where you posted what year vehicle you have.

The accessory belt idler pulley width was increased somewhere early in the 2G production and that helps to have the wider pulley but ultimately if all else is good the culprit is almost always an alignment issue.

You can't see it visually but in my case I could stretch a thread tightly across the face of the pulleys and see that the PS pump pulley was leaning inward. My belt would hop off anytime I de-accelerated if I had been at high revs in the moment before backing off the throttle.

My friend with a 98 TAlon could hop a belt on command with a blip of the throttle. He noticed a mis-aligment of the idler pulley and added a small wsaher under the bracket to set it straight. He hasn't thrown a belt since that day.
I generated this page in 0.0089681148529053 seconds, executing 7 queries.