Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectHow long to prime oil pump?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=127698
127698, How long to prime oil pump?
Posted by Tpratt43, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
First off great web site and I must say thanks for all the infomation I found by searching and the answers I have recieved to a few question so far. I have now completed my first rebuild thanks to you guys and am about to start it for the first time. My only question is about priming the oil pump. I have searched and read that most of you just add oil to the filter, fill the motor up and turn the motor over with the fuel relay unplug until the oil light goes off. Correct? My question is how long should it take for the oil light to go off? I let mine turn for about a minute and got nervous because the oil light didn't go off so I left everything alone for now. Should I continue to turn the motor over longer? Thanks for any answers or help I am just really nervous about ruining everything I have worked on for such a long time now.
127699, RE: How long to prime oil pump?
Posted by CODE4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Some will say exactly what you did is the preferred method. There are a few that argue that you cannot build enough pressure to turn off the oil pressure switch at cranking RPM.

My opinion is that if you have the filter primed fire it up. If you really want to be anal, pop the valve cover and have someone crank the motor over with the fuel relay disconnected. Watch for oil making its way out the lifters and rocker assemblies. As they are the last in the line to receive oil it is safe to bet that if the lifters are receiving oil then everything prior to it is as well.

I run a mechanical oil pressure gauge so I see oil pressure immediately.
127702, RE: How long to prime oil pump?
Posted by Corbin, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I specifically bought an oil pressure gauge to prepare for my rebuild. I turned the engine over until I had some pressure on the gauge. I fired it up and the pressure came right up to normal levels.

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

Now with more power and fewer leaks

Humble servant of the Wiki
127703, RE: How long to prime oil pump?
Posted by 420agreenvilleSC, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I turn the motor over about 15-30 secs
I generated this page in 0.010775089263916 seconds, executing 7 queries.