Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectHardwiring Radiator Fans
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=127176
127176, Hardwiring Radiator Fans
Posted by greekgodchaos2, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Can someone please tell me the best and simplist way to hardwire my fans to a toggle switch? Thanks guys.
127179, RE: Hardwiring Radiator Fans
Posted by 420agreenvilleSC, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
why do you wanna do that?
127189, RE: Hardwiring Radiator Fans
Posted by Babbz413, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC
why do you wanna do that?

????
127190, RE: Hardwiring Radiator Fans
Just to let you know, I'm having some heating issues and I need to keep everything as cool as I can until I get my new Evo hood. Even Royal Purple water wetter isn't helping out that much :wtf
127192, RE: Hardwiring Radiator Fans
Posted by CODE4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by greekgodchaos2
I'm having some heating issues

I would look at your cooling system very closely - keeping your fans on constantly is only a bandaid bro. Narrow down your cooling system elements beginning with your gauge - are you 100% that it is accurate?

Turbo'ed 420a's roll around Phoenix during the summer time with HRC FMICs without overheating.
127180, RE: Hardwiring Radiator Fans
Posted by adamzty, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Cut positive wire that goes to each fan, Wire them both to the toggle switch. Run a wire from the positive side of the battery to the toggle switch. Just make you use a switch capable of handling the current.
127184, RE: Hardwiring Radiator Fans
Posted by dalesmitsu, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Or you could splice one thin gauge wire to the positive side of the fans Both could be wired together. Not exactly sure I haven't done this method since 03 when I bought my 2g, I did this for a Olds I owned.

Take one wire any color splice it to a wire powers the fans runs this through the firewall to your new toggle switch.

Next, use a seperate wire same gauge size, crimp the ends long enough to wrap or splice to the positive terminal of your battery and run this through the firewall, preferably the one just did from the fan and run it to the toggle switch. There should be two copper tabs one for each wire.

Keep in mind the toggle switch will get warm, but you could burn up the toggle switch reguardless which size wire you use, but to be safe use the same gauge wire as the actual wire for the fans.

Make you buy an on/off toggle switch, very cheap.

Remember when you turn car off turn the toggle off, You would kill your battery I had this happend once it aint fun jumping a car in middle of level3 snow storm, lol :P

This ghetto but race car drivers use this type of method, as part of their dash panel.

127188, RE: Hardwiring Radiator Fans
Thank you very much, I appreciate all the info!! :)
127191, RE: Hardwiring Radiator Fans
Posted by CODE4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by dalesmitsu
Or you could splice one thin gauge wire to the positive side of the fans Both could be wired together. Not exactly sure I haven't done this method since 03 when I bought my 2g, I did this for a Olds I owned. Take one wire any color splice it to a wire powers the fans runs this through the firewall to your new toggle switch. Next, use a seperate wire same gauge size, crimp the ends long enough to wrap or splice to the positive terminal of your battery and run this through the firewall, preferably the one just did from the fan and run it to the toggle switch. There should be two copper tabs one for each wire. Keep in mind the toggle switch will get warm, but you could burn up the toggle switch reguardless which size wire you use, but to be safe use the same gauge wire as the actual wire for the fans. Make you buy an on/off toggle switch, very cheap. Remember when you turn car off turn the toggle off, You would kill your battery I had this happend once it aint fun jumping a car in middle of level3 snow storm, lol :P This ghetto but race car drivers use this type of method, as part of their dash panel.

Seriously? You are talking about powering both fans directly off of one thin gauge wire to a dash mounted toggle?

The safe way to implement manual fan control is to wire a primary/secondary circuit using relays.
127193, RE: Hardwiring Radiator Fans
Posted by Babbz413, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
headgasket?!
127196, RE: Hardwiring Radiator Fans
If it was the headgasket, woulden't I be blowing white smoke out my exhaust?
I generated this page in 0.015597105026245 seconds, executing 7 queries.