Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectDo the valves bend?!
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=127056
127056, Do the valves bend?!
Posted by keffe, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hello, guys. One day my water pump broke down, so timing belt is damaged and jumped several teeth. When i have camshafts at TDC, then crankshaft`s bullet is not at 12o`clock, but 17o`clock. Is there possibility that 420a do not broke valves?! Or i just have to continue with removing head?! Thanks a lot. Car is totally stock.
127058, RE: Do the valves bend?!
Posted by freelancefool, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Jumping several teeth....

There was contact between the valves and the pistons. Pull the head.
127059, RE: Do the valves bend?!
Posted by teklein, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yep, gonna need to replace a few.
127062, RE: Do the valves bend?!
Posted by CODE4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by keffe
is not at 12o`clock, but 17o`clock.

What the fuck is 17 o'clock? And do not say he meant military time because it is not even said that way.
127068, RE: Do the valves bend?!
Posted by 420agreenvilleSC, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by CODE4
Originally posted by keffe is not at 12o`clock, but 17o`clock.
What the fuck is 17 o'clock? And do not say he meant military time because it is not even said that way.

lol. wondering the same thing.
127069, RE: Do the valves bend?!
Posted by phr0st187, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Give the guy a break. You can tell from his broken english that he hasn't fully grasped the english language. And yes you will need to pull the head. Whether or not you broke/bent a valve, we can't tell you. It's highly likely that you did and possibly some piston or rocker damage as well. While you're down there go ahead and replace the timing pulleys and timing belt tensioner as I'm sure the mileage calls for it. Be sure to get new head bolts/studs since your stockers are likely stretched.
127074, RE: Do the valves bend?!
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by phr0st187
Give the guy a break. You can tell from his broken english that he hasn't fully grasped the english language.

True dat (but 17 o'clock is kinda funny, lol)

Ok, how much do you like labor? You CAN take a shot at just replacing the belt and components and re-timing it. Then check comp and, if the comp seems good, go ahead and try to start it.

If you take this route, you may be wasting your time because your valves have a pretty good chance of being bent. But to me, meh, I might waste the labor and give it a shot.

127094, RE: Do the valves bend?!
Posted by Tuxdreamerx, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I just got a 98 talon with a timing belt that was missing a ton of teeth and turns out the water pump was seized so I replaced both didnt bother pulling the head and it fired right up. I believe its a 50/50 chance. I even turned it over a few times with a messed up belt. if it was me I would throw a belt and pump on, time it and try to fire it up before you put everything back together and if it fires up put it back together and go and if not pull the head.
I generated this page in 0.0093288421630859 seconds, executing 7 queries.