Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectTimming with aftermarket gears
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=126958
126958, Timming with aftermarket gears
Posted by twinvenges, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
whats up guys, so im timing with my aftermarket cam gears, and figures..like a BANME!let.. ive since then tossed my oem ones, so i cant match up the marks / 0 out the gears...so i guess let me know if this sounds right..

crank set @ 9pm
adjust both cams so cam holes are up
set crank 1/2 tooth befor TDC, run belt
set crank to TDC
apply the 20 ft lbs to tensioner, and then tighten tensoer to spec
then alighn each cam idividually @ TDC so the cam holes (with 1/4 extensions in) are perpandicular to head, and then lock cam gear bolts..

remark lines on cam gears, spin 3 times, and check positon

i think that shoud be correct.. lmk
126959, RE: Timming with aftermarket gears
Posted by phr0st187, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I would say that's about as close as you're gonna get without timing marks on your cam gears. Unfortunately the 420a timing is pretty sensitive so you'll know if it's off. It'll run like shit or not run at all. What I would do in your situation is go to a local junk yard and ask for a timing gear for a 2g eclipse NT motor or neon 2.0 motor.. bring your adjustable gears with you copy the marks from the stock gears to your adjustable ones and tip the guy at the counter 5 bucks for letting you do so. Go home put the timing on without having to guess.
126960, RE: Timming with aftermarket gears
Posted by RoninEclipse2G, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Actually our cars will run up to 3 teeth off, it'll just run like ass. Any farther than that and you're gonna have a meeting.

Mr.Piston meet Valve. crunchy
126961, RE: Timming with aftermarket gears
lol, yea, its a built engine, just rebuilding after i spun a beairng so its a fresh rebuild lol
126963, RE: Timming with aftermarket gears
Posted by CODE4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
What Cam gears are you running? eBay gears? UR, AEM, etc all are pegged for the application and should have alignment marks.

126964, RE: Timming with aftermarket gears
they are findanza...ive read, and well, know they are off lol,, ive gor them on both my 420a's..i loose lol
126985, RE: Timming with aftermarket gears
Posted by freelancefool, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
If you think the Fidanza cam gears are that off, try this:

- Set the Fidanza gear over the stock cam gear making sure the cut out for the dowel pin is lined up correctly.

- Check to see if the timing marks line up.

That should get you within 1* or so of being correct for when you go to time the car out for the first time.
126986, RE: Timming with aftermarket gears
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by freelancefool
If you think the Fidanza cam gears are that off, try this: - Set the Fidanza gear over the stock cam gear....

I think he threw his old gears out;
Originally posted by twinvenges
.. ive since then tossed my oem ones,

I take it nobody near you with old stock gears?

126987, RE: Timming with aftermarket gears
Posted by freelancefool, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I went and reread that and you are correct.

Why would you toss them? I have 2 sets of stockers on a shelf at home.
126991, RE: Timming with aftermarket gears
why indeed.. mainly b/c i moved back from cali , and well, all my cars ran, and space was an issues, so box o old engine parts i thought id never need....trashed...

timed it, using extensions, ill post pix here in a few, did 3 revs, looks good,, imo..ill let the pix talk when i post them.
127007, RE: Timming with aftermarket gears
Posted by hazard_eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i used Fidanza cam gears with no problem. if i remember correctly the exhaust cam keyway should be facing up and the intake cam keyway should be facing down and it will time out perfectly.
I generated this page in 0.0086989402770996 seconds, executing 7 queries.