Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectScanGauge II
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=123783
123783, ScanGauge II
Posted by Nemo, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I installed a ScanGauge II in my 97 RS today. Mounted it under my radio on a flat panel that was there. They're simple to hook up and do a whole lot of neat computations. I'm sure you all know. I bought it mainly for the scan tool feature and true to it's word it told me I had a 0442 code on my CEL.

Unfortunately though it won't CLEAR the code and turn off my CEL which is what I wanted the most out of it. Just thought I'd let everyone know in case you're considering getting one for that very reason.

I'll try to contact the manufacturer to see if they know how to overide the problem. Their manual makes it sound like if I got the dreaded blank screen after tring to clear it was more or less SOL.

Could just be my car or perhaps a 97 problem. Sure like to hear from someone that can actually use the Clear function.
123784, RE: ScanGauge II
Posted by azdave, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I've had a Scangauge since they were first released and it has never failed to clear any codes (unless the problem still existed).

Are you sure you just aren't seeing the code reappear immediately after you attempt to clear it? I can't say I have specifically tried to clear a 0442 code but the only time mine has not cleared a code permanently was when I hadn't fixed the issue first.

123785, RE: ScanGauge II
Hi Dave. Thanks for the insight. No, I have not fixed the 442 code yet. It's a general EVAP code. All I know is when I push "Yes" to clear, the screen goes blank.

I contacted Linear Logic, the manufacturer, and they said I did the steps correctly. They also said the CLEAR function definitely works on all our cars.

They are sending me a new replacement unit and a prepaid envelope to return the one I have today. I'll reply here again and let you know if that did the trick.
123786, RE: ScanGauge II
Originally posted by Nemo
I contacted Linear Logic, the manufacturer, and they said I did the steps correctly. They are sending me a new replacement unit and a prepaid envelope to return the one I have today. I'll reply here again and let you know if that did the trick.

They are a good group over there. I live just about one mile from them and they always do any software updates for free.

123787, RE: ScanGauge II
Posted by adamzty, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
How do you expect it to clear the code if it is not fixed?
123789, RE: ScanGauge II
It was my understanding it will reset (clear) the codes for a short time only. Like my evap problem. After it resets it takes x amount of miles to be smog ready. Hopefully you'll get the cert in that small window of time before the CEL comes back. Correct me if I'm spinning, lol, I do take alot of meds.
123788, RE: ScanGauge II
That's most excellent. Yeah, they treated me very pokitely and professional too.
123795, RE: ScanGauge II
Posted by 740 turbo brick, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Nemo, I have to thank you for showing this thing to me. I have never heard of it, but after reading about them you bet your ass Im going to be getting one. They look pretty bad ass. And they are actually cheaper than a code scanner you can buy at Autozone.
123796, RE: ScanGauge II
Yeah, they are pretty neat. Ebay has them all the time and the new ones all have the Xgauge software upgrade. I'm still trying to figure out all they do. It's not difficult; just alot. I've seen the used ones go for around $140 but I'd go new for $160 just because. I was fortunate to scoop a new one for $105 shipped from a private party but that was just dumb luck being in the right place at the right time. The people at Linear Logic, the manufacturer, are great too and provide personal type support. I'm sold.
123940, RE: ScanGauge II
Posted by halfasss101, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Does it just stay stuck on a blank screen when you try to clear the code? Mine does that sometimes when the car is running, couple times when it was off with key in the on position. I'm fairly satisfied with the gauge. Update rates are very slow (even when it is set to fast). I wanted the aeroforce scangauge but its taking them forever and a day to come out with ISO format (Mitsu,Subi,toyota,etc). It only displays 2 gauges at once, but update rate is constant. For example, RPM on the gauge moves with the needle on the tach perfectly. Also does 1/4 mile times and now does HP i believe (more accurately than the scangauge 2. I called linear logic about the slow update rate, and they said it cant get any faster since the ecu only asks so many questions per second. 2 or 4 questions/sec. cant remember. But my laptop software is way faster even when i have 9 gauges put up on my laptop. I'll probably get rid of my scangauge and go with aeroforce if it ever comes out since it has enhanced interface options that aren't reported through general OBD2 such as knock (which is what i want)and it can record and add additional gauges such as wideband, egt, and more. Recording everything on one gauge will make tuning a breeze
123941, RE: ScanGauge II
That aerogauge sounds hot. I'll have to check it out.

Just got my new replacement ScanGauge in the late mail. Tomorow I'll stick it in and see if I can clear the code temorarily without fixing the problem;

And yes, when I tried to clear the code before, I always got the blank screen. I did it with the motor running each time but I'll try it with the motor off (never thought of that) before I do the swap.

123945, RE: ScanGauge II
Ya, it seems it depends on the code whether it will clear it with the car running. Some i have cleared no problem with the car running, others dont seem to want to go away. If it just doesn't want to clear them altogether, then there's a problem.
123960, RE: ScanGauge II
I put the new unit on they sent me and it shows two codes now.
PO133 and PO442.

Neither one will clear with or without the motor running. I'll have to fix the problems first and try again.

The unit I have to return was probably just fine but it's nice to start out with something you know is new.
123973, RE: ScanGauge II
Sounds like you need a new cat too. Since code P0442 is cat converter efficiency failure
123974, RE: ScanGauge II
he might not need a new cat. His upstream o2 is bad, so it cant compare the downstream o2 to anything. Maybe that is why it is throwing the cat code...?
123975, RE: ScanGauge II
possibly. but the faulty o2 sensor causing too lean or too rich fuel mixtures could have ruined the cat
123979, RE: ScanGauge II
Ok, lol, that would be a blessing.

Can anyone elaborate more on that possibility?

Thanks Tyler & halfasss. (even though I'm confused I have hope)
123978, RE: ScanGauge II
Not to doubt you at all but can you be sure it's a cat efficency failure? The code book I have says just a vauge "evap" problem.

I've driven the car almost 2 months with that on because Aamco told me a PO442 was just a vapor hose. Terry said possibly a "roll over valve".

If you're sure it's the catalytic converter I could just bolt in a new one way cheaper than Aamco wants to fix a vapor hose.

Please double check that if it's not a big deal to do so and let me know. Thank you.
123980, RE: ScanGauge II
Posted by DR1665, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Nemo
Not to doubt you at all but can you be sure it's a cat efficency failure? The code book I have says just a vauge "evap" problem. I've driven the car almost 2 months with that on because Aamco told me a PO442 was just a vapor hose. Terry said possibly a "roll over valve". If you're sure it's the catalytic converter I could just bolt in a new one way cheaper than Aamco wants to fix a vapor hose. Please double check that if it's not a big deal to do so and let me know. Thank you.

PO422 = Cat
PO443 = EVAP

97s are known for the CEL 31 (aka: EVAP leak). Bought my 97 in September of 96, CEL 31 became my co-driver sometime in 2000. Replaced gas cap, vac lines in the engine bay, evap purge/vent solenoid, re-plumbed the charcoal cannister. CEL 31 just came back.

Sold the car pending passing emissions. Kid took it to the shop and they had it fixed and through emissions by noon the very next day. Start with the rollover deal on the tank if you *have to* clear the CEL for emissions.
123989, RE: ScanGauge II
Thanks again, especially for the code definitions. I have a year to play with it before I *have to* (damn Ca. sucks) I'll definitely do the roll over valve and anything else I can find when I drop the tank. Rather spend a few xtra bucks and avoid double or triple labors.
124005, RE: ScanGauge II
Posted by RoninEclipse2G, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
just out of curiosity has anyone tried one of these in a 95? I like the idea but I don't want to spend money if it won't work
124007, RE: ScanGauge II
Pull up Linear Logic (the manufacturer)or just ScanGauge and write them. They're great people over there. Leave your phone # in an email and they'll call you within a business day. :-)
124011, RE: ScanGauge II
Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
just out of curiosity has anyone tried one of these in a 95? I like the idea but I don't want to spend money if it won't work

if it is OBD2 it will work. As i'm sure you know OBD2 is generally known among most people to be on 96 and newer cars. Some late 95's were also OBD2 but very few. I have never come across a 95 with OBD2 so far. I think maybe the eclipses are some of those, but i am not sure. Easy enough to check. Look under dash on driver side next to the kickpanel for your right leg. There will be two connectors facing down (if it is OBD2). And only one if it is OBD1. Even if it is OBD2, there will be an OBD1 port there also. The OBD2 port on our cars are black.
124012, RE: ScanGauge II
Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G

I have it in both of my early 95 Eclipses (build date Oct-94 and Sept-94) and it works just as well as it does in my 98. No issues at all.
124017, RE: ScanGauge II
Originally posted by azdave
Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G just out of curiosity has anyone tried one of these in a 95? I like the idea but I don't want to spend money if it won't work
I have it in both of my early 95 Eclipses (build date Oct-94 and Sept-94) and it works just as well as it does in my 98. No issues at all.

Thanks Dave, that was the answer I was looking for

to the previous posters, I know the difference between OBD1 and 2, but 95 Eclipses and talons are a bit of a weird breed, they are what I'd call OBD1.5. while they use OBDII harnesses and plugs, not all of the functions are quite the same and you have to "trick" most scanners to get any functions out of them. I was concerned because I have an extremely early build 95, Aug-94, one of the first 2gnt's built
124019, RE: ScanGauge II
I should have mentioned both of my 95 Eclipses are AWD in case there is a difference there.

I was told all 95s were OBDII compliant even though it was not mandatory until 96 model year.
124032, RE: ScanGauge II
Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G I was concerned because I have an extremely early build 95, Aug-94, one of the first 2gnt's built

Hoo hoo, I got you beat. My car, Date: MAY 1994.

I guess that may not be a good thing, since I want one of these and Im really hoping it works with my car.
124020, RE: ScanGauge II
Posted by CODE4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by halfasss101
Sounds like you need a new cat too. Since code P0442 is cat converter efficiency failure

Do not jump the gun here. P0442 is Evaporative Emission Control
System Leak Detected (small leak).

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0442

P042x & P043x series codes relate to catalyst efficiencies below threshold.

P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
P0421 Warm Up Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
P0422 Main Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
P0423 Heated Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
P0424 Heated Catalyst Temperature Below Threshold (Bank 1)

To name a few.
124982, RE: ScanGauge II
Posted by Mopar McNeer, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have one in my 95 Avenger and love it!!! I've had no issues clearing codes. I believe I have the vehicle with the motor not running when doing so.

Great investment.
124105, RE: ScanGauge II
Posted by CLPSD, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Once you correct the code, I always pull the - terminal to reset the ecu

97 GS Show Car
99 GST Daily Driver
99 Spyder
124346, RE: ScanGauge II
I just ordered one of these with my tax refund money. I was reading some comments about them elsewhere and I cant wait to get it. Hoping I can get the logger software somehow as well.
124348, RE: ScanGauge II
Posted by teklein, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Im also eyeing one of these as well.

Or the Bluetooth OBD2 link. Adamzty has one, works great with the Palm, and I use Palm phones. Its a logger as well IIRC.
124355, RE: ScanGauge II
Originally posted by teklein
Im also eyeing one of these as well. Or the Bluetooth OBD2 link. Adamzty has one, works great with the Palm, and I use Palm phones. Its a logger as well IIRC.

Yeah, I've been meaning to post a thread about it. I'll take some pics and do that this weekend! The thing works great though, only complaint I have is that I only get like 3 samples/sec on my Palm.
124373, RE: ScanGauge II
I was reading about some of the features this thing has. Apparently you can set it to read of the horsepower of your car. Any one have any idea how accurate that could be?
124380, RE: ScanGauge II
it's probably like the Gtech horsepower meters, a pretty simple calculation based on a small G sensor, the weight of the car and running a quarter mile. it's not dead nuts on but it'll get you in the right ballpark.
I generated this page in 0.017353057861328 seconds, executing 7 queries.