Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectCar Wont Start, No Spark, No Power To Coil....Another Dumb Question
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=121208
121208, Car Wont Start, No Spark, No Power To Coil....Another Dumb Question
Posted by HipHop615, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Well I have been working on my other Eclipse and I still have yet to get the thing to run, Its a 95 GS. I was with a friend trying to figure out why it wont start, It wants to start but I get nothing, He found out it has no spark, he tested the coil to see if its getting any power when we try to start it and it doesnt. What could possible be wrong or stopping the coil from getting any power? Ignition relay or fuse of somesort? I suck at this electrical stuff....
121209, RE: Car Wont Start, No Spark, No Power To Coil....Another Dumb Question
Posted by eclipse982nrRST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I believe the crank and cam sensors send the info to trigger the coil.
121210, RE: Car Wont Start, No Spark, No Power To Coil....Another Dumb Question
Originally posted by eclipse982nrRST
I believe the crank and cam sensors send the info to trigger the coil.

Ya I think that may send a signal but actual power itself? Im sorry I just dont know this shit, I need at least one eclipse to drive so I can get around
121211, RE: Car Wont Start, No Spark, No Power To Coil....Another Dumb Question
Posted by mcgyvr, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
asd relay
121212, RE: Car Wont Start, No Spark, No Power To Coil....Another Dumb Question
Originally posted by mcgyvr
asd relay

Where is that located?
121213, RE: Car Wont Start, No Spark, No Power To Coil....Another Dumb Question
Posted by Blizare, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by HipHop615
Originally posted by mcgyvr asd relay
Where is that located?

Firewall relays. there should be 2, 3 if your auto. Unplug them both and clean them out and click them back in. Sometimes the get pretty cruddy in there. Di-electric grease is good for that. Test procedure is in the chiltons manual.
121214, RE: Car Wont Start, No Spark, No Power To Coil....Another Dumb Question
On My 98 Auto there is 3 on my 95 Auto (The one with the problem) there is 4. I will try looking in chiltons again
121215, RE: Car Wont Start, No Spark, No Power To Coil....Another Dumb Question
I was looking in Chiltons and there is a Starter Relay underneath the CD Player....
121216, RE: Car Wont Start, No Spark, No Power To Coil....Another Dumb Question
Posted by MR BLUNT 2gnt, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'd start w/ the ASD relay. If that checks out then make sure your cam and crank sensor plugs are on there solid. After that I'd check to make sure they both are getting power from the ecu, should be 9 volts i'm pretty sure. After this past rebuild my car was turning over but not sparking. I had a short somewhere in the line to my crank sensor. I re-ran lines from the ecu and the car fired up.
121217, RE: Car Wont Start, No Spark, No Power To Coil....Another Dumb Question
Posted by azdave, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Don't forget that the ASD relay will only send power to the coil for a second or two before it turns off if the ECU determines there could be a problem. It's just like when you turn the ignition to "run" but don't actually crank the motor. You'll hear the fuel pump run and then turn off. It won't turn on again unless the ECU is convinced that the motor is actually turning over. If the crank or cam sensors are not signalling properly that could cause the fuel pump and ASD relays to turn back off as soon as you turn the key to "run" position.

Do you have power to the coil for a second or two right after turning the key to "run"?

Do you hear the relays clicking on and off?
121218, RE: Car Wont Start, No Spark, No Power To Coil....Another Dumb Question
Damn all this electrical shit is another language to me, As far as I know there was never any power to the coil. So there is no way its that starter relay underneath the CD player? I gotta find the crank and cam sensors....heres a pic of my relays which is the ASD relay? Cuz thisone has 4 and my 98 GS has 3...Sorry again for all the stupids questions....

121219, RE: Car Wont Start, No Spark, No Power To Coil....Another Dumb Question
Posted by azdave, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Well, seeing four relays on the firewall photo caught me off guard. I haven't run across that before. I can say that all the ASD relay connectors have been grey in color, not black or natural so my guess is that the second from the left in your photo is the ASD Relay.

When you have three relays they are usually lined up as Fuel Pump Relay, ASD Relay and ATX Relay from left to right as viewed standing in front of the car.

Pin #6 and #8 should always have 12 volts on them anytime the battery is connected in the car. It doesn't matter if the key is on or off. If you do not have voltage on those pins then the 30A Fusible relay #4 may be bad.

Pin #4 on the ASD relay connector will be grounded when the PCM commands the ignition system to operate. To test it you of course would have to plug the socket back into the relay and probe it from the bottom with a grounded wire to simulate a ground from the PCM to test if the relay clicks and is working okay.

Pin #2 will have 12 volts only when the relay is energized (pin #4 grounded). The wire on Pin #2 goes to the coil.

Anyone know what option the 95 GS has that calls for a fourth relay?
123419, RE: Car Wont Start, No Spark, No Power To Coil....Another Dumb Question
Posted by boostboyike, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I know this is an old post.But testing relay.When i go to ground pin 4,it melts my wire like a ground short!with the relay in im getting 12v at pin 4 on both pump and ads relays.
123492, RE: Car Wont Start, No Spark, No Power To Coil....Another Dumb Question
Posted by scorpo86, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
try the throttle position sensor because one time the same was happing to my car, rotating but not starting. the damn wire was loose so after a week of stupied i moved a wire while my brother was cranking it and it started. so i just spliced a new one on and it fired up. Do the same, have someone crank it and move around some wires or replace the sensor
I generated this page in 0.013308048248291 seconds, executing 7 queries.