Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectDid I spin a bearing?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=119322
119322, Did I spin a bearing?
Posted by Collente, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
This is awesome, I finally get the car done after a year. I bought a used short block and took my head and got her all up and running.

It wasn't running a hour total and I drove it maybe 3 miles.
I come back and no problems. I turn it on for a friend and get this hideous really loud sand paper noise. I rev it up again and the higher the rev the louder the noise... we're talking seriously loud sandpaper type noise which sounds like it's coming from the block. No noise at idle. I check and there's no oil (4 qt's in an hour with no smoke?). I put new oil in and it's doing the same thing..

I pulled the pan and dont have any shavings. I haven't pulled the rod caps off, what are the torqe specs to put em back on? What should I look for? I checked my chiltons and couldn't tell how to know if you spin a bearing?!? I'll check for scoring too.

I want to cry..

Nick
97RS
119323, RE: Did I spin a bearing?
Posted by phr0st187, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Doesn't really sound like a bearing issue to me. Pull the caps off and check for any scoring both on the bearings and the crank. You said you got a used short block. Is it a stock block or has it been rebuilt that you know of? I heard a similar sound on a SB chevy that had extreme piston slap along with being deprived of the correct amount of oil due to a pump issue. In most cases rod bearings produce more of a knocking noise. You said there was no noise at idle so at what RPM range are you hearing it? Also while youre down there take each rod and push it up and down and see if it might replicate the sound for you(remember we have an interference engine so the valves will touch the top of the piston, just dont beat on it and use only hand force) you might also wanna check out the accessory pulleys and make sure there's no play in them. Also I would find out where that oil is going. did you torque the head correctly? if so and youre not burning any oil, check your radiator fluid for a "milkshake" like substance which would mean oil is getting into the cooling system. Also check for oil on the back side of the motor as for some reason the HG's leak the oil in the back right by the num. 4 cylinder (mine did at least) and it was a head bolt issue(got arp's now :thumbsup) There are MANY posts on rod bearing issues. Maybe searching will find your answer quicker. I searched spun rod bearing and got 238 hits ;-)
119324, RE: Did I spin a bearing?
Posted by xcasbonx, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
If it were a bearing issue you'd be hearing the ticking/clanking at an idle pace. Sounds like it's something else.
119325, RE: Did I spin a bearing?
Posted by VelocitaPaola, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by xcasbonx
If it were a bearing issue you'd be hearing the ticking/clanking at an idle pace. Sounds like it's something else.

Yeah, it sounds like something is rubbing; maybe the timing belt, crank pulley, alt/acc. belts? Maybe it's something in the clutch?

I would lightly tap the rod caps with a small hammer and listen for anyone that sounds different. If you pull them off, you'll just have to get new bolts since the stockers are TTY.

-http://www.symtechlabs.com/-

119326, RE: Did I spin a bearing?
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Always hard to tell without hearing the noise, but did you check to see if you put a cam cap on backwards? high pitched scraping noise with that :shrug
I generated this page in 0.013247013092041 seconds, executing 7 queries.