Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectso how screwed am I?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=116340
116340, so how screwed am I?
Posted by xlr82x, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
So my speedometer just stopped working one day with the odometer and so i went and bought a speed sensor that plugs into the transmission. Well the part that goes inside the transmission looked like its suppose to fit inside a gear that turns somehow. I took the old one out and then looked to see if I could see the gear but didn't see anything. So i stuck my finger down in it to see if I could feel where it needed to go and felt nothing. So I think that gear piece is floating somewhere in my tranmission because my speedometer still doesn't work and I worked that its going to mess with the gears if I try driving it. Does anyone know what if there is a gear in there that it is suppose to sit in? any help would be great.
116341, RE: so how screwed am I?
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by xlr82x
So my speedometer just stopped working one day with the odometer and so i went and bought a speed sensor that plugs into the transmission. Well the part that goes inside the transmission looked like its suppose to fit inside a gear that turns somehow. I took the old one out and then looked to see if I could see the gear but didn't see anything. So i stuck my finger down in it to see if I could feel where it needed to go and felt nothing. So I think that gear piece is floating somewhere in my tranmission because my speedometer still doesn't work and I worked that its going to mess with the gears if I try driving it. Does anyone know what if there is a gear in there that it is suppose to sit in? any help would be great.

yeah, there's supposed to be a gear that clips to the end of the sensor. You probably knocked it off when you removed the original speed sensor; it's pretty easy to do. You're going to have to drop the trans and open the case to remove the gear, otherwise, you're going to have some ugly problems:

http://www.nawdu.de/oldpics/Tranny_Work/oct-2003/

Those plastc bits everywhere are the remains of a speed sensor pinion gear.
116342, RE: so how screwed am I?
Posted by ligerzero, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I had the same problem, tried putting a new VSS in and when I pulled the old one out, I found no gear on it, but yet, I could feel something rattling around when I stuck my finger in there.

Waited a few hundred miles, and then decided to tackle a bigger project, so I pulled the motor and tranny and cracked the tranny apart. Found that the ring gear that's on the diff had come off, the mounting tabs had broken.

It's not too bad of a deal to do, it's just getting the case back together afterards.

Oh yeah and in those pictures it shows that ring of bearings being shot, well the casing of mine was broken but luckily the bearings hadn't shot in.

Good Luck!
116343, RE: so how screwed am I?
Posted by C L U T C H, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Err i have the same issue for a long time now :(, can it break the trans. ? i can feel the gear inside but a little lower than it's supposed to be and i can move it up and down a little... when i turn left a bit hard, it seems to get the speedometer gauge a little up to 30 and then it goes back down..

I never fixed it , i didn't feel like getting the trans. off the car
116344, RE: so how screwed am I?
Posted by ligerzero, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by C L U T C H
Err i have the same issue for a long time now :(, can it break the trans. ? i can feel the gear inside but a little lower than it's supposed to be and i can move it up and down a little... when i turn left a bit hard, it seems to get the speedometer gauge a little up to 30 and then it goes back down.. I never fixed it , i didn't feel like getting the trans. off the car

Basically look at the pictures from Dino's post.. that will answer your question. In my honest opinion, it may or may not break anything, but your always running on borrowed time when things like that happen.
I generated this page in 0.0090630054473877 seconds, executing 7 queries.