Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectRE: Coolant leak and Overheats (sorta long)
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=114118&mesg_id=114120
114120, RE: Coolant leak and Overheats (sorta long)
Posted by DR1665, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You're lucky. The hardest part about this repair is getting your hands back in there to make the swap. Here you go, in order of most to least expensive...

- Go to the dealer and get the prefab hoses for replacement. $15
- Go to your local discount auto parts store and pick up about 3ft of rubber hose in the same diameter as the blown ones. $10
- Take the better of the two hoses already on the car and bypass the heater core. $0

Remove your intake piping for better access to the hoses. Maybe pull the battery too. It's going to suck trying to hold hose clamps in place while tightening them down between the engine and firewall. Look for the two pipes running along the driver's side of the head with the hoses on the end of them by the firewall. Those are your heater core lines.

Connect one to the other and you're done, but you'll have no heater this winter. Your call.

My personal choice, and what I've actually done, is the $10 generic hose from Autozone method. Get 3ft of hose and cut it in half. Connect the ends on the firewall first (they're the trickiest), then sort of loop them around neatly (no kinks) and connect them to the pipes next to the head. You're done.

The benefit of going with generic hose like this is that it's cheaper, but if you have slack, the next time this happens to you, odds will be good that you have enough hose in there that you can cut the blown section off and just reconnect right there on the side of the road. Top off the coolant and go, man.

Good luck.
I generated this page in 0.010050058364868 seconds, executing 6 queries.