Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subject203.8whp with 169tq. "Dyno Dynamics" Dyno,YUP!
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=107634
107634, 203.8whp with 169tq. "Dyno Dynamics" Dyno,YUP!
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
That is all :cheers

Oh, ok, there's more, but just got back from dyno. She's broken the barrier but there is more to it than that. I'll post up tomorrow with more info (can we say LTH?).

107635, RE: 203.8whp with 169tq. "Dyno Dynamics" Dyno,YUP!
Posted by freelancefool, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Bad ass Mark. Good job.
107636, RE: 203.8whp with 169tq. "Dyno Dynamics" Dyno,YUP!
Posted by cc8balla, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Fucking a Mark! You have done it! Congratulations.
107637, RE: 203.8whp with 169tq. "Dyno Dynamics" Dyno,YUP!
Posted by 2GeclipseRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Nice!
107641, RE: 203.8whp with 169tq. "Dyno Dynamics" Dyno,YUP!
Posted by DR1665, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Congrats! The better man has won! :cheers
107642, RE: 203.8whp with 169tq. "Dyno Dynamics" Dyno,YUP!
Posted by totaleclipse_05, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Holy shit! Congrats Mark, that is amazing!
107643, RE: 203.8whp with 169tq. "Dyno Dynamics" Dyno,YUP!
Posted by Fallen4ng31, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Nice!! The barrier is broken, WTG Mark!
107645, RE: 203.8whp with 169tq. "Dyno Dynamics" Dyno,YUP!
Posted by powellds, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
amen brother!
107646, RE: 203.8whp with 169tq. "Dyno Dynamics" Dyno,YUP!
Posted by ez, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Well deserved congrats! :cheers
107648, RE: 203.8whp with 169tq. "Dyno Dynamics" Dyno,YUP!
Thanks guys. Appeciate the support (and Driggs, your "message" stays, lol). Really nice to cross that line :thumbsup

Ok, where to start? Went to dyno, um no wait.

First, got a little something to share. We now have an LTH for our engines (courtesy of quicksilver99).

I'm going to start another thread on that, for clarity.

So I took the LTH and Mike's (AMM) intake mani (I thought I took pics of it? Hopefully Mike will add some) to the dyno to get some numbers on each. Had it all planned out. Was going to set dyno numbers on just the OBX intake with the long tube header (already have numbers with the OBX and E-bay header), then do it with Mike's intake. That would be a full comparison of each set-up.

Well, as you know, dyno's have different ideas. Got her on and mr supertuner :order Matt (Dentsport out of Norwood Mass) started dumping fuel in (also did the 450's prior to this. I was up to 87% duty cycle with the OBX and e-bay header and stock injectors. So obviously needed more - BTW, Dino, just one seal rolled; fixed). Got about 3/4 through the tune and had overheating problems. Not headgasket or internals. Took a while to figure out that, for some reason, the thermostat was only opening a little. Lost a ton of time, so we had to punt. My buddy, Darren, ran down to Napa to get the thermostat, while my other buddy, Mario, stayed with me and switched out the intake. We just ran out of time to make the comparison pulls. Pretty disappointed in that. I'd love to go back and compare but I just can't afford it.

So get her back on and going with the AMM intake and quicksilver99's LTH. First pull, 193! Kinda knew at that point, lol. Each pull progressively better (thanks Matt). I broke the barrier with a 200.3whp, lol. The last pull ended up being a 203.8whp with 169tq and climbing before, it looks like, I ran out of gas :scratch . She just suddenly went lean, so she either ran out of gas or the 190 walbro gave up the ghost. Will check into that.

I've got the sheets right in front of me, I just gotta copy them onto the computer. Lines are nice.

As for the intakes; hands down Mike's is a better/smoother intake. We noticed it right off the bat with the throttle response. Just so much quicker and smoother than the OBX. By far a better intake. Just wish I could do the number comparison. Sorry guys I tried.

Thanks again to Mike (AMM), Mark (quicksilver99) and Matt (Dentsport) for playing with me. Hit them up if interested in the "stuff" the gots. I'm really happy with them (and believe me, I would tell you if their product sucks).

Well, guys, we're over 200 now :cheers
107650, RE: 203.8whp with 169tq. "Dyno Dynamics" Dyno,YUP!
Posted by taclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
thumbsup
congrats... you got some great NA numbers!
107656, RE: 203.8whp with 169tq. "Dyno Dynamics" Dyno,YUP!
Posted by Jungy, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Great job mark!!! What were you running for fuel? Pump gas? Ohh yeah and I would love to see AMM's intake, I've seen his neon ones but not his 2gnt ones.
107658, RE: 203.8whp with 169tq. "Dyno Dynamics" Dyno,YUP!
Originally posted by Jungy
What were you running for fuel? Pump gas? Ohh yeah and I would love to see AMM's intake,

I was running VP 112 (right out of the pump, lol). Funny thing though, still did not knock limited :shrug . I don't know what's up with that. Maybe I should try 93, lol.

Here's some pics;

107729, RE: 203.8whp with 169tq. "Dyno Dynamics" Dyno,YUP!
Originally posted by bullettdsm
The last pull ended up being a 203.8whp with 169tq and climbing before, it looks like, I ran out of gas :scratch . She just suddenly went lean, so she either ran out of gas or the 190 walbro gave up the ghost. Will check into that.

To keep you guys posted; I finally had time to take a look at the problem. Apparently, you're supposed to keep those injector connectors on at ALL times, lol. Otherwise she runs lean.

Hmm I wonder why?

107659, RE: 203.8whp with 169tq. "Dyno Dynamics" Dyno,YUP!
Posted by dalesmitsu, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
That is all :cheers Oh, ok, there's more, but just got back from dyno. She's broken the barrier but there is more to it than that. I'll post up tomorrow with more info (can we say LTH?).

Awesome, defintly motivated me congrats.

what was the retail on that intake Mike's does he or his shop have a site and How have you had the intake,does it hold up over time or would the welds go out
107663, RE: 203.8whp with 169tq. "Dyno Dynamics" Dyno,YUP!
Posted by freelancefool, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
From talking with Mike, you will need to send him the lower portion of the intake. He also said that there is a hefty wait time right now. I'd like to post the price he told me, but I don't know if I can.
107673, RE: 203.8whp with 169tq. "Dyno Dynamics" Dyno,YUP!
Originally posted by freelancefool
From talking with Mike, you will need to send him the lower portion of the intake. He also said that there is a hefty wait time right now. I'd like to post the price he told me, but I don't know if I can.

Yeah, they are $900 plus $200 for shipping. lol. Just trying to help you out a bit Mike. ;-) lol You should do my manifold first now. j/k
107664, RE: 203.8whp with 169tq. "Dyno Dynamics" Dyno,YUP!
Posted by AMM, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
woo woo! congrats mark now u need to put one of my heads on there. =) i love seeing my stuff do well, thanks for doing the dyno and its ok that there wasnt a comparison against the obx, i knew it would do better than it. he he.

mike
107665, RE: 203.8whp with 169tq. "Dyno Dynamics" Dyno,YUP!
Posted by Flipboi89, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
GJ man ;]
107666, RE: 203.8whp with 169tq. "Dyno Dynamics" Dyno,YUP!
Posted by Slammed420A, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Way to go Mark! Congrats. I would love to have an intake manifold like that.
107678, RE: 203.8whp with 169tq. "Dyno Dynamics" Dyno,YUP!
Originally posted by AMM
...its ok that there wasnt a comparison against the obx, i knew it would do better than it. he he. mike
Thanks Mike. We also knew the intake would do better. It was just a question of how much. As with Peachy's LTH you built it JUST as I imagined.

For those that may be interested, this is by far some of the best work I've seen done by hand. Well worth it. Also, keep in mind that he does do exterior "bling". I just don't care about that (obvious I know).

Originally posted by RfOeCnKdOeNr
Congrats Mark! Who knew the fastest NA would be from Connecticut!! =P

Yeah, hehe. I credit the winters. Got nothing better to do since we can't race, lol.

Originally posted by SilvrEclips
So now that the 200hp barrier has been broken whats the next goal? 225whp? Is it even possible?

Can we rest with just 200whp now, lol? J/K, yeah, I'm thinking about other things that need to be done. Certainly port work will probably be my next "power changer". My original port was kinda a moderate port job due to not having any "experiential" information on the extent of the port. So I kept it relatively conservative. The next port job may be a collaboration (i.e. Mike). There are other things that need to be done but Mike puts it best.....

Originally posted by AMM
......all in good time. mike

Oh yeah, as for the next project; Now for something completely different.

Appreciate the kind words guys.

107683, RE: 203.8whp with 169tq. "Dyno Dynamics" Dyno,YUP!
Finally got some dyno sheets scanned (yeah, I'm lazy). Not the greatest pics but if you source them at putfile you can see them close up.

Ok, first sheet is the 203.8whp with 169tq run. you can see that we were still climbing when she ran out of fuel.

Also make note that the particular program that Matt uses does not write up torque numbers. We had to plot them out on the graph using the mouse. Kinda annoying.

This was a full run at 202.7whp with 168tq. You can see that the curves are pretty nice. Torque holds not too bad.

And last is that full run held against the previous set-up of the OBX and e-bay header (from a previous day on the dyno). You can see that we bettered the whole curve
107698, RE: 203.8whp with 169tq. "Dyno Dynamics" Dyno,YUP!
Posted by murray1, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Damn, that was quick. I thought it would take a bit longer to get to 200. Congrats, how long we got to wait for a track run?
107700, RE: 203.8whp with 169tq. "Dyno Dynamics" Dyno,YUP!
Originally posted by murray1
how long we got to wait for a track run?

When's it going to warm up, lol?

107712, RE: 203.8whp with 169tq. "Dyno Dynamics" Dyno,YUP!
Posted by murray1, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by murray1 how long we got to wait for a track run?
When's it going to warm up, lol?

When is it warm enough to go to the track down there? I am from Canada and up here it can take quite a while to get nice enough, I have also lived in Kentucky and Phoenix and neither one has much for a winter so just wondering, don't know what Connecticut is like.
107714, RE: 203.8whp with 169tq. "Dyno Dynamics" Dyno,YUP!
Originally posted by murray1
] When is it warm enough to go to the track down there?

ATCO opens the end of the month, I'm told. My buddy Darrin is trying to talk me into running, lol.

Mark, thanks again. Yeah, you did seem a little out of it when I was talking to you, lol. But believe me I understand.

107668, RE: 203.8whp with 169tq. "Dyno Dynamics" Dyno,YUP!
Posted by Fossil, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Bad ass man! I've been waiting forever to see how Mike's SRIM would do on the dyno. Now I know I'll definitely be having him fab me one up someday in the future.
107669, RE: 203.8whp with 169tq. "Dyno Dynamics" Dyno,YUP!
Posted by RfOeCnKdOeNr, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Congrats Mark! Who knew the fastest NA would be from Connecticut!! =P
107674, RE: 203.8whp with 169tq. "Dyno Dynamics" Dyno,YUP!
Posted by SilvrEclips, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I knew it would happen sooner or later. 200+ whp on a NA 420a is very impressive. Congratulations.

So now that the 200hp barrier has been broken whats the next goal? 225whp? Is it even possible?
107676, RE: 203.8whp with 169tq. "Dyno Dynamics" Dyno,YUP!
of course its possible.......... and i think he will get it, but all in good time.

mike
107713, RE: 203.8whp with 169tq. "Dyno Dynamics" Dyno,YUP!
Posted by quicksilver99, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey guys whats up....? I was pretty impressed when mark called me and told me the dyno results. We where both unsure at first if this would be a success or turn into a big flop... like always mathematical theories look good on paper but as always it take a real life test to see if your efforts where worth anything.

I've gotten a few IM's already about people intested in purchasing an LTH. So I don't have to repeat my self about a bazillion times I'll say here what I have been telling people who ask. I'm in the process of getting quotes for lazer cutting the flangs, pricing out tubing, and flex sections, and everything else. I don't have any idea of a price right now, I'm still working on getting an idea of a total cost for materials. At first I will only offer these in mild steel, I Had some problems with my mandrel bender (lost control of a few solenoids) so light gauge stainless will come at a later date if there is enough interest. I would deff like to produce a few batch's of these for the 2gnt community so if there is enough interest I'll do what it takes to make it happen.

I'll welcome any questions anyone has IM me and I'll get back to ya.

And I want to say congradulations to mark, I didn't get a chance to the other night, when he called I was about done with my day and did a better job absorbing what he said than responding to it...

So congrats Mark, I can't wait to see how far you can push the 420A, you've done some amazing stuff so far, I can't wait to see what comes in the future.
107715, RE: 203.8whp with 169tq. "Dyno Dynamics" Dyno,YUP!
Originally posted by quicksilver99
Hey guys whats up....? I was pretty impressed when mark called me and told me the dyno results. We where both unsure at first if this would be a success or turn into a big flop... like always mathematical theories look good on paper but as always it take a real life test to see if your efforts where worth anything. I've gotten a few IM's already about people intested in purchasing an LTH. So I don't have to repeat my self about a bazillion times I'll say here what I have been telling people who ask. I'm in the process of getting quotes for lazer cutting the flangs, pricing out tubing, and flex sections, and everything else. I don't have any idea of a price right now, I'm still working on getting an idea of a total cost for materials. At first I will only offer these in mild steel, I Had some problems with my mandrel bender (lost control of a few solenoids) so light gauge stainless will come at a later date if there is enough interest. I would deff like to produce a few batch's of these for the 2gnt community so if there is enough interest I'll do what it takes to make it happen. I'll welcome any questions anyone has IM me and I'll get back to ya. And I want to say congradulations to mark, I didn't get a chance to the other night, when he called I was about done with my day and did a better job absorbing what he said than responding to it... So congrats Mark, I can't wait to see how far you can push the 420A, you've done some amazing stuff so far, I can't wait to see what comes in the future.

Well, I am interested in buying one, so count me in!
107783, RE: 203.8whp with 169tq. "Dyno Dynamics" Dyno,YUP!
Posted by quicksilver99, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I finally had another chance to get online... and to read through this again... and I noticed that Mark stated that I also do "bling"... lol... almost but not quite, what we do at our shop is mostly R&D. But none the less It's all about custom fab and pushing the limits. Performance is our goal. Enough said. I'm open and willing to try to squeeze any crazy ideas anybody might have into my schedule, I like a challenge and if anyone has any ideas about building something that hasen't been done before hit me up. We'll see what we can do. I'm keeping my internet business limited to the 2gnt comunity, I have a few things up on honda-tech but its simple minor stuff. So anybody else in the future that dreams up something crazy that might just squeeze out a few more HP out of our cars and needs somebody to build it let me know.

As far as the LTH goes... I have three quotes comming back to me the end of next week. Hopefully I will have some answers for everybody then.
107787, RE: 203.8whp with 169tq. "Dyno Dynamics" Dyno,YUP!
Posted by 2point4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i'd like to see a manifold designed with the runner section of this header:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/jdmc-95-99-ECLIPSE-HEADER-SILVER-CERAMIC-STEEL-NT-4-1_W0QQitemZ280201275197QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item280201275197

if you were to cut off the last inch and half of tubing just before the collector and weld in the collector & turbo flange right there... wastegate towards the tranny and turbo intake towards the passenger side, (just like the one in your sig pic) should work out to be a decent manifold... fairly equal length runners, and easy 3" downpipe route. actually, i'm kinda wondering why this hasn't already been done...?
107789, RE: 203.8whp with 169tq. "Dyno Dynamics" Dyno,YUP!
Posted by Jungy, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Probably because the turbo would be placed too low and either be hitting the starter or the radiator.
107790, RE: 203.8whp with 169tq. "Dyno Dynamics" Dyno,YUP!
Originally posted by Jungy
Probably because the turbo would be placed too low and either be hitting the starter or the radiator.

exactly.......... believe me i know.
107818, RE: 203.8whp with 169tq. "Dyno Dynamics" Dyno,YUP!
Posted by VX100, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Great job! As one of the all-motor club, I love to see the engine pushed like this.

Assume a 15% driveline loss (which is reasonable for our cars) and you would have 240 crank HP (ok, 239.76hp). All motor. Very nice indeed.
I generated this page in 0.017642021179199 seconds, executing 7 queries.