Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectcatch can install
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=105922
105922, catch can install
Posted by twinvenges, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i was doing some searchin and i think this is the setup that may work best for me. ill be runnin ~15psi

there will be a breather also on the can.

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6452891

105926, RE: catch can install
Posted by foggy45, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
the way the pic looks to me is that you have it "Y"ed from the PCV valve, and one goes to the VC and the other to the Catch can.

why even have the "Y" there? just have both lines coming off the VC and going to the can, then have a line from the can going back to the intake manifold?
the whole reason the can is there is to catch oil, if you put the "Y" in there then some of the blowby will bypass the can all together.

if you want a true crankcase evacuation then i would think about mounting the suction line to either the Exhaust system or to the intake pipe to the turbine compresor. that will give your evacuation benifit most all the time then.

like this: except that when i get my manifold and downpipe finished then i will have a spot to mount the line from the can where the breather now sits

105927, RE: catch can install
Posted by twinvenges, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
thats how i intially thought t was supposed to be as well, but as i was reading, many said a check/pcv had to be in plase as well? inmy drawing, i left stock pcv in there, so when it saw boost and closed, all the gasses/oil would g to the can and not the mani. if i set it up your way will i see any perfomance loss due to the lack of oil left for scavenging?
105933, RE: catch can install
yes you are right, if you use the vacuum source off the can as the intake manifold then there needs to be a check valve so you dont presurise your crankcase.

the only time that the crankcase will vent would be under vacuum anyway (off boost) so you wont notice any effects from not scavanging any of what was in the crankcase

so yeah, if you want to keep the valve id use it as part of the return from the can then.
105949, RE: catch can install
Posted by WickedESi, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I use a large Kobalt air compressor filter/dryer, w/ the element removed. Works great. I usually have the other end plumbed into the exhaust for a crankcase evacuation. But in the pic I'm running the downpipe open for a track day, so I don't have my exhaust connection. Turbo applications I would leave the PCV valve off, and not route back into the intake, just vent it.

105950, RE: catch can install
Posted by totaleclipse_05, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Do you have any more pics of how your catchcan is hooked up Wicked? I kind of have an idea, but that strut bar is in the way.
105951, RE: catch can install
The pic above is probably the best I have. Here's a high res pic of my engine bay at a lower angle.

http://www.mysterymeat.net/kard/enginebayhighres.jp g

Both the valve cover breath ports connect to the inlet on the compressor filter, that's all.
105952, RE: catch can install
That's a neat little setup you got there. Any drawbacks to running it that way?
105957, RE: catch can install
You won't pass emissions if you have them in your state. :)
105961, RE: catch can install
Posted by wickedtalon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by WickedESi
I use a large Kobalt air compressor filter/dryer, w/ the element removed. Works great. I usually have the other end plumbed into the exhaust for a crankcase evacuation. But in the pic I'm running the downpipe open for a track day, so I don't have my exhaust connection. Turbo applications I would leave the PCV valve off, and not route back into the intake, just vent it.

Nice horn
105973, RE: catch can install
Haha, thanks.
105975, RE: catch can install
So running without a PCV valve off of the valve cover won't "hurt" it? Just plumb both the lines into a catch can?
105977, RE: catch can install
That is correct.
105978, RE: catch can install
Originally posted by totaleclipse_05
So running without a PCV valve off of the valve cover won't "hurt" it? Just plumb both the lines into a catch can?

correct! but remember if you decide to plumb the can back to the manifold (or other source that may see +psi) you MUST have some sort of check valve inline or you'll presurise the whole system when you boost. :thumbsup
I generated this page in 0.010202884674072 seconds, executing 7 queries.