Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectPower steering belt keeps coming off? Check this out!
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=103631
103631, Power steering belt keeps coming off? Check this out!
Posted by Slimyjr., Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Like my eclipse, my power steering belt insisted on pissing me off and keeps coming off so this weekend i decided to do something about it and came up with this writeup.

The most probable cause are stripped bolts. This is caused from the vibration from the car.(this was the promblem with mine).

1. First take out the three bolts.(2 are behind the pulley and are a pain in the ass to get. The other is the lower one closest to your headers).

2. Buy new bolts(pls make sure you get the right size...).

3. Put the new bolts in, put the belt on, use another wrench push the pulley forward so that the belt is nice and tight on the pulley.

4. Tighten the bolts(i mean really tighten)

If you do this correctly, your powersteering belt will no longer piss you off.lol.
103632, RE: Power steering belt keeps coming off? Check this out!
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Except for the fact you tensioned the belt completely wrong and didn't include a bolt size (they're M10x1.25 iirc) that's a pretty good writeup on how to remove three bolts.
103636, RE: Power steering belt keeps coming off? Check this out!
Sorry about the bolt size...wasn't sure what they were. But i tensioned the belt that way, may be the wrong way, but it worked for me. Belt stays on and there are no longer any promblems.
103641, RE: Power steering belt keeps coming off? Check this out!
Posted by ThePerfectShift, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
is this without the tensioner? because thats what i'm attempting to do today but as I tried to pry the pump back, I knocked something loose and now its leaking like crazy :( I also lost one of the bolts so to the hardware store I go.
103642, RE: Power steering belt keeps coming off? Check this out!
Yes this is without the tensioner. I would've used one but i don't know how. If you know how to use one, take DarkOne's advice and use a tensioner. I'll look into what may of come loose for you.
I generated this page in 0.0091209411621094 seconds, executing 7 queries.