Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subject95 Eclipse NT Won't Start Need Help!
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=102029
102029, 95 Eclipse NT Won't Start Need Help!
Posted by Picturemer0llin, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Alright, i'm new to this forum but need some major help. Bought a 95 Eclipse NT with a blown engine. Bought a 97 NT with good engine but wrecked. Anyway, I manage to pull the engine out of the 97 and use it in the 95. (Both automatic tranny) I realize the transmission has different plug so I swap the 95 tranny on the 97 420a, swap the intake manifold with injectors and rail from the 95 to the 97 420a. Now everything is together but the car just crank and crank. If you leave the key in the ignition position and play with the ecu or fuse box in the engine, than you'll hear the fuel pump start to prime. I know that there must be some lose or bad wire somewhere but where would they be.... or could it be something else.... please help!
102037, RE: 95 Eclipse NT Won't Start Need Help!
Posted by muscle_mitsu, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
have you done the standard check for spark smell for gas?
102038, RE: 95 Eclipse NT Won't Start Need Help!
Posted by streetlightning, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i know the 95s has a return fuel line , and the 97s dont, i dont know but wont that mess things up unless he plugs the return fuel line? and im pretty sure u had to swap ECUs?

things ive leaned to check when no start:
1:battery
2:make sure all sensors ar pluged in ESPECIALY the Cam angle sensor and crank sensor.. check those connections, then check them to see if you get ~ 8V across them.
3:ASD relay,
4:check to see if you gettin spark from the plugs,
check the coil. middle plug should have ~12v

is it giving you any CELs?
102039, RE: 95 Eclipse NT Won't Start Need Help!
Posted by thedawg, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Picturemer0llin
I know that there must be some lose or bad wire somewhere but where would they be.... or could it be something else.... please help!

Just about every single sensor, wire, and connector is different between 95 and 97.

As far as I can tell from your post you currently have:
95 chassis
95 wiring harness
95 atx tranny
95 intake manifold
95 ecu
97 bottom end (crank sensor, oil press sensor, alternator, knock sensor)
?? downpipe, 02 sensor

IIRC the 97 crank sensor will not plug into the 95 wiring harness. One has a flat blade pin, and one has a round pin. If you managed to plug it in, you probably forced it and broke something.

Also check your downpipe and o2 sensor, it also needs to have the 95 connector. If you use the 95 o2 sensor, it's probably junked since its from a blown engine and is now likely covered in oil and metal bits.

Your 95 ecu may also be bad, both because of a common factory defect, and because you may have blown it by using the wrong sensors at some point in your troubleshooting process. If you need a new one, use http://car-part.com
102051, RE: 95 Eclipse NT Won't Start Need Help!
Posted by Picturemer0llin, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey thanks guys for all the help... so far let me get in more detail and see what is going on. I did most of the test, planning on doing a spark test sometime this weekend. But I do smell gas and even gone to the point of taking the fuel line from filter to see if any gas did get pump to engine. I notice there is no return line for fuel on the 97, that's why I replace the fuel injectors and rail with the one from the 95.

So far here is the list:

Brand new battery
97 Heads
97 Bottom Ends
95 ATX Tranny
95 Intake Manifold
95 Injectors / Rail
95 Coil
95 ECU (could be bad, nothing to test with)
95 Cam angle sensor (97 wouldn't plug in so replaced with 95)
95 Downpipe / O2 sensor
97 Oil pressure sensor (replace plug on 95 wire harness to match wire color)
97 Alternator (everything plugs right in with 95 wire harness)

Where would I find the crank sensor? Only one wire is sticking out... I want to believe it's the knock sensor wire (Yellow/Red), but I am not too sure on that. On the 95 the sensor has two wire going to it, on the 97 only a (Yellow) wire. Sensor was broken off on the 95 so couldn't switch over. Replaced harness plug with the 97 and just left the (Yellow/Red) wire hanging.

NO CELs was given and not even a light. On normal condition, once key is turn CEL comes on, but it didn't. Just this weekend I finally got it on when the key is turn cause I was moving the fuse block around, but still crank only. After so many crank I think the starter just gave out and it's throwing a 1-2-5-5 CELs now.
102052, RE: 95 Eclipse NT Won't Start Need Help!
Posted by thedawg, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The crank sensor is on back of the block, it's black plastic and has a 90* angle in it. The oil pressure and knock sensors are nearby and look like big metal bolts with plastic connectors on them.

The 12-55 code is normal.

You need to use 95 sensors with a 95 harness and 95 ecu. You especially can't substitute a 2-wire sensor for a 1-wire one.

Also swap out the cam sensor and all the head sensors if you haven't already.
I generated this page in 0.0082049369812012 seconds, executing 7 queries.