Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectHow is this EGT probe supposed to work?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=100293
100293, How is this EGT probe supposed to work?
Posted by eclpsmoneypit95, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
First off, this is an autometer probe that I bought used. This is all that came with it and Im confused as to how it installs. Is the bung that is supposed to come with it have an interference fit or something? Anybody have any experience with these?

100296, RE: How is this EGT probe supposed to work?
Posted by djtrickee, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Return it. It is obviously broken and missing parts.
100298, RE: How is this EGT probe supposed to work?
Posted by boosted60trimrst, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
its definitly broken . return it .
100301, RE: How is this EGT probe supposed to work?
Thanks for the quick replies
100308, RE: How is this EGT probe supposed to work?
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Its not broken. Its missing the fitting that threads into the manifold. This is the new style Autometer Probe.

Terry
100310, RE: How is this EGT probe supposed to work?
Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
Its not broken. Its missing the fitting that threads into the manifold. This is the new style Autometer Probe. Terry

That's what I thought! I remember it looked a lot like yours but I wasnt sure how it all went together. I guess Ill try contacting Autometer directly to see if I can just order the missing pieces.
Thanks Terry
100315, RE: How is this EGT probe supposed to work?
Posted by Chamuko, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
actullay they might send it out to you. Just say you bought it and its missing it.
100328, RE: How is this EGT probe supposed to work?
Posted by sike, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Chamuko
actullay they might send it out to you. Just say you bought it and its missing it.

They very likely will. Most gauge companys are pretty good with that stuff. I returned a wideband gauge that *cough* I broke *cough* to the company that made it and they sent me a brand new one with no questions asked. I bought the gauge used on ebay for $60, shorted it out the next day. New gauge for $60. I love it.
100335, RE: How is this EGT probe supposed to work?
Originally posted by sike
Originally posted by Chamuko actullay they might send it out to you. Just say you bought it and its missing it.
They very likely will. Most gauge companys are pretty good with that stuff. I returned a wideband gauge that *cough* I broke *cough* to the company that made it and they sent me a brand new one with no questions asked. I bought the gauge used on ebay for $60, shorted it out the next day. New gauge for $60. I love it.

This is exactly what I did. I just emailed Autometer customer service and they said they would send one out to me free of charge. Sweet tits.
100336, RE: How is this EGT probe supposed to work?
The reason I said it was broken or damaged is I have never seen an inverted tip like that before. ALL the probes I have ever used includiding Autometers have a little protrusion on the end like this:

Also It doesnt have the attached fitting which will allow you to mount it even without the clamp. Maybe that is what Terry is talking about. who knows.
100337, RE: How is this EGT probe supposed to work?
Posted by BOOSTED ECLIPSE, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The probe that eclpsmoneypit95 has looks just like the one that I have that came with my Faze gauge. It uses a three piece fitting to mount it in the manifold. One piece screws into the manifold then it has a brass compression fitting and the top cap that tightens it. I can post a picture tonight if needed.
100338, RE: How is this EGT probe supposed to work?
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
DJ, you have seen copper compression style fittings? Or even the tephlon boost gauge fitting that the plastic line get inserted into? Its the same thing now for the autometer probe. Not sure when they redesigned it but the one I got is like that.

Terry
100340, RE: How is this EGT probe supposed to work?
Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
DJ, you have seen copper compression style fittings? Or even the tephlon boost gauge fitting that the plastic line get inserted into? Its the same thing now for the autometer probe. Not sure when they redesigned it but the one I got is like that. Terry

Gotcha. What about his tip?
100341, RE: How is this EGT probe supposed to work?
Originally posted by djtrickee
Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon DJ, you have seen copper compression style fittings? Or even the tephlon boost gauge fitting that the plastic line get inserted into? Its the same thing now for the autometer probe. Not sure when they redesigned it but the one I got is like that. Terry
Gotcha. What about his tip?

Apparently, this is the one that I've got: Competition (Sportsman racing)

It has 3 piece install hardware just like boosted said
http://autometer.com/cat_accessories.aspx?sid=47

If you click on the link, it has a description: "Complete Probe kit includes 3/16" dia. Stainless Racing Probe with 10 ft. wrire plus 3/16" compressoin - 1/8" NPT connector and weld fitting."
I generated this page in 0.014986991882324 seconds, executing 7 queries.