Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectRE: high compression n/a buildup
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=94079&mesg_id=94103
94103, RE: high compression n/a buildup
Posted by DR1665, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by cream420
when i was assembling the motor, i called dodge and mitsu and they both said < to my suprise> no sealant was nessasary between the bed plate and block but if i was REALLY worried about it i could use some rtv or something. so goin by what they said i used no sealant.

Okay. You got ow3ned there imo. Did you put in the big o-ring at that recess in the block-to-bedplate where the oil filter pick up is? If not, you will leak. And this is important: THE FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL, WHICH THOSE ASSHATS OBIVOUSLY DIDN'T EVEN LOOK AT, STATE QUITE CLEARLY THAT ANAEROBIC SEALANT IS REQUIRED ON THAT FIXTURE. YOU CAN'T USE RTV AS IT COULD ALTER YOUR BEARING TOLERANCES. I doubt there's anything you can do at this point, since they aren't going to be held liable for giving out technical advice to non-customers, but we forgot to install my o-ring there and had to pull the block back out, flip the bitch, and redo the bedplate to install that o-ring. Just recently, we had a local guy buy his bottom end pre-built by a small shop in Idaho. Got it in and it was leaking over by the bell housing. We pulled it back out, removed the bedplate, and what do you know! No anaerobic sealant on that end at all! It was a slight leak, but it had to be fixed.

Considering the amount of money and effort you've put into you engine thus far, I think it behooves you to pull that bitch, and fix it right. While some people have claimed to be able to get the bedplate off with the engine still in the car, it is much easier to do this fix with the engine out. You will have to reclean the mating surfaces and apply some funky anaerobic sealant to the seams.

Been there - done that. :shrug
I generated this page in 0.010951995849609 seconds, executing 6 queries.