Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectRE: NOT the ECU.....F*&K, S%#T....okay im at a complete loss, now what?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=87952&mesg_id=87999
87999, RE: NOT the ECU.....F*&K, S%#T....okay im at a complete loss, now what?
Posted by XtremeRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The easiest way to check your cam/crank sensor signals, is with a LED test light. Get any normal colored LED, preferably a 12 volt LED from RAdioshack. On the positive lead, put in a resistor, anywhere from 350-1000k resistance. Now, put the 12volt lead of the LED to consant 12volts, and the negative side of the LED will go to whatever trigger wire you are testing. For instance, the crank sensor trigger wire is a blue/white wire. The LED will "flash" as it sees each trigger pulse. So do the same with the cam sensor trigger wire(forget which wire color it is), and you can also use this to test any other triggers you want, such as injector drivers also. This LED tester, how its wired, is to test a pulsating ground signal, so if you need to test a pulsating positive signal, then put the negative lead of the LED to ground, and the positive lead to the trigger wire. I believe most of our triggers are ground signals, so you may not have to worry about that, someone else may want to clarify that though.

I would test these wires at the ECU, and at the sensor itself, to let you know if you have any wiring issues between the sensor and ECU. I use a LED tester like this everyday at my work, but I also use a Matco LED tester, which is nice, but the simple one i described above, will work just fine.

Oh yeah, you can use this tester on the 2 coilpack trigger wires also, just test the two outer wires. You may want to do this first, just to see if you are actualy getting any trigger signals to the coilpack, then if not, test the crank/cam sensors. Be sure to test the cam and crank sensors for power on their power wire leads. I belive they are 9 volts? Either that or 5 volts..cant remember at the moment
I generated this page in 0.0087370872497559 seconds, executing 6 queries.