Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectRE: QUEASTION!!! about porting intake manfold?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=51893&mesg_id=55780
55780, RE: QUEASTION!!! about porting intake manfold?
Posted by 510eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
when i previously replied to this thread, there were some things i left out.

first of all, yes removing the intake mani is a must when porting the intake mani. and it isnt too hard to remove, although the 2 or 3 bolts on the back/bottom of the intake mani are a bit difficult. hopefully your arms are as skinny as mine and you have the right extentions.

when "gasket matching" first take your new gasket and a razer and cut the gasket to the size you want to port, then trace the new sized gasket onto the intake manifold. this can help you open those runners up pretty nicely. i wasnt too specific when i earlier mentioned gasket porting, gasket company's dont design there gaskets for perfect runner sizes.

also, make sure you use the metal drill bit looking grinder that was posted up in the first reply. it will take 1/10th of the time as it would if you just used the grinding wheels. unfortunately i learned this from experience. but with this grinder bit, porting is really easy/fast with just a dremmel.

last week i ported the exhaust ports on my block. a guy in my crew helped me out. taking of the eashast mani was a pita but it was worth it, and fun and easy after that. just be careful with the coolant line attatched in front/ontop of it. to port your exhaust ports you have to plug up the holes with some pieces of rag. you dont want anything falling back in there. if anyone does this i reccomend a light porting/polishing. if you go too dramatic without knowing exactly what your doing, it can cause problems like wacky idle and/or lowered performance anywhere in the power band. all in all do some more research/practice before getting to this one. i think i saw some improvement, but its mostly to compliment the nitrous direct port system im installing in a week or two here :-)

I generated this page in 0.02996301651001 seconds, executing 6 queries.