Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectRE: 420a Race Car!!!!!!
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=117497&mesg_id=126248
126248, RE: 420a Race Car!!!!!!
Posted by dougie2, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Congrats man... glad to see your project getting close to race ready!

I would keep a real close eye on the rods, rod bolts and rod bearings. The Eagles are fine rods, but I'd say you're pushing their limits. It wouldn't be a bad idea to consider dropping in some 4340 I-beams or even some Aluminum rods. High revs and boost seem to really beat the hell out of the rod bearings. I've already been through a couple sets of Clevite rod bearings using only a GT30-series turbo at 30-40 PSI going up to 9k on my street car. Check them often, along with checking the bolts for stretch.

Regarding the trans... if you want to keep manually shifting, consider the NV-T850 trans with a PPG gear set (dog box). You can make it work.

Also, not sure what you've got on the front of the crankshaft... but if it's the stock pulley, ditch it. I've had great success with the ATI Super Damper. They don't make one specifically for our 420A engine, but the SRT-4 2.4L will work. It's the only way I've been able to keep an alt. belt on the race car when going over 9k RPMs. You will need a custom length alternator belt and a 4-rib PS belt, if you even run PS.

If you have any questions please ask. I've tried to push the 420A quite a bit, and it's a great engine... but I've given up on FWD and converted my 2GNT to a 4G63-powered AWD. I really hope to see you pull off what I've always wanted to do... break 700 HP and run 9s! You can do it!
I generated this page in 0.011126041412354 seconds, executing 6 queries.