Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectRE: Engine knock - see video, vote how much my life sucks
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=108177&mesg_id=108182
108182, RE: Engine knock - see video, vote how much my life sucks
Posted by ez, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by GringoEJS
Any chance you can get a better quality video. I work on these ALL the time and it doesn't sound like a rod knock to me-rod knock is a much deeper sound. It sounds to me like your 4 18mm bolts holding your clutch assembly to the flex plate are loose. Remove the dust shield and check those bolts. If they are loose, pull each one out at a time and put thread lock on them, and tighten them in. Good luck

Thanks for your input. Something in the back of my mind was telling me that it was possibly those 4 bolts, but the thing is I used blue loctite on those bolts and torqued them down (I think I used chilton's to find the torque specs... or maybe these were the bolts that there were no published specs on - I can't remember.)

So rod knock is lower in frequency? What's also kind of strange (and maybe goes against this being rod knock) is that the sounds seems to go away at somewhere around 4000-5000 rpm. I would think you'd hear rod knock all the way to redline and it would get louder and louder. Also, I don't here it at idle. It's only there when I hit the gas.

I can't do another video right now b/c the car is at my parents house. It's hard to capture a good representative sound on a video camera.

I generated this page in 0.012319087982178 seconds, executing 6 queries.