Go back to previous topic
Forum name2004 DSM ShootOut
Topic subjectMy Shootout Story
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=39&topic_id=1747
1747, My Shootout Story
Posted by Avenger, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
For those that don't know already, my motor is "broken". It happened on my 7th run on Sunday at the shootout. The car had been running great before this run. I shifted into 3rd gear and the car just stopped making power around 5.5k. I coasted the rest of the way to the ticket booth before I heard it. Very loud and noticeable clacking noise. Fairly high pitch. Obviously not good. I pulled the car back to the HRC trailer.

Anyway, we checked the valvetrain hoping it was a collasped lifter. No luck. So it's definitely bottom end damage. Believe it to be piston damage. Did a compression test 180-150-165-180. Cyl 1,2,3 also show to be wet. Checked cam timing ... it was fine.

At this point after talking with Bill it was decided to put my car into the HRC trailer, street-ify the HRC RS, and roll back to Chicago where my car can at least get the attention necessary. HUGE HUGE THANKS to HRC (Bill and Adam), and Mike to helping this all be possible. HUGE thanks for all the people there for there support.

Dino and I are in Oswego today in a Holiday Inn. We'll be flying back to Houston tomorrow. The car will stay up here in good hands getting looked over and repaired. The car will be back ... bigger and better than ever. I'll let you guys know what the failure was when the motor get torn down.

FYI - My best run was 14.02 @ 102.9 w/ a 2.4sec 60' time. I definitely needed more experiencing launching.
1748, RE: My Shootout Story
Posted by 992gnt, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Thura, that really sucks about your car. But as I said elsewhere, the way all the 2gnt'ers rallied together to get Derek's car rolling and your car someplace safe was awesome. Bill went above and beyond this past weekend, from the Port Fueler, to the launching lessons, to helping out all the disabled 2gnts. Makes me proud to still be a part of this group. Like I said before I left, let me know if you need anything.

1749, RE: My Shootout Story
Posted by Diceman19, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
heck yea man, sorry about your car but you know, you play with fire, sometimes you get burned. ::shrug:: :-) dont worry, when you get it back, it will be faster than before and you will be happy it happened, minus the money that it cost of course. LOL.

its too bad you guys will miss the corn on the way home. :-( i will say the all important corn prayer for you tonight so that the corn is not offended and come back to haunt you later.
1829, RE: My Shootout Story
Posted by QC DSM ESiT, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yeah that sucked about your car. At least Hahn was cool enough to help you out man. BTW I have some video of your car running and everyone pushing it into the trailer too that I hope to be adding to computer here soon.
1842, RE: My Shootout Story
Posted by SILVERNT, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
sorry Thura the plane ticket idea fell through. If it was possible, you know id hook you up. nonetheless, anytime you and dino need a place to crash out here, youre more than welcome. see you around man
1847, RE: My Shootout Story
Posted by 95greenhrcgs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hope you get your car back soon man! Hopefully things will be bigger and badder after its fixed. 2gnt'ers are a great group of guys and girls, and Bill and Adam kick ass!!!

1857, RE: My Shootout Story
Posted by QC DSM ESiT, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Here is the video of Thura's engine runnin after he broke it. Sorry Thura I know it probably breaks your heart to hear it.

http://www.quadcitiesdsm.com/jordan/videos/Thura%20Engine.wmv
1859, RE: My Shootout Story
Posted by MR BLUNT 2gnt, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
It was definately a shock to me when i walked up and heard the tick. It sucks to happen to such a good guy. I can't believe how cool Bill was to make the race car streetable and tow yours back. I wish ya luck homie and if theres anything you need look me up. Chicago is only 7 hours away from columbus and i'm due for another road trip. I spent all day recovering from the 5.5 hours of sleep I got since friday night :)
1865, RE: My Shootout Story
Damn does my motor sound freaking sweet! It's all good. It comes with the territory. I'm good with what happened. The motor was the last thing that I had concerns over considering it came from T-ARD. The car will be reborn meaner than ever and when it's all broken in I'll be heading to the track every week so I can make a good showing next year. No more crappy launches and no more losing to slower cars because I can't launch and have a crappy reaction.
1866, RE: My Shootout Story
Posted by JasonESi_T, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Way to keep a positive attitude, T!

I'm glad everyone pulled together the way they did. Big shout out to HRC for the wonderful gesture they showed in helping T out!
1923, RE: My Shootout Story
Posted by XtremeRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Ehh don't worry Thura, it will be better than ever when its back together. Just think, now you won't have to worry about a motor that was built by your most favorite place anymore :) Just let me know if you, or whoever is going to do the work on the car, if I can help out in any way. Its not too far a drive to HRC from my place, and i'd be glad to lend a hand in the repair if needed. Just let me know!
1929, RE: My Shootout Story
Posted by turbo8u, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
you're lucky imo....sounds like you have the money for the repairs.
1947, RE: My Shootout Story
Posted by etx, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by XtremeRS
Ehh don't worry Thura, it will be better than ever when its back together. Just think, now you won't have to worry about a motor that was built by your most favorite place anymore :) Just let me know if you, or whoever is going to do the work on the car, if I can help out in any way. Its not too far a drive to HRC from my place, and i'd be glad to lend a hand in the repair if needed. Just let me know!

Yeah, I would be down for helping too. I owe you after the axle donation. ;) Let me know, I would love to take a road tip out to chicago and do some wrenchin.
1989, RE: My Shootout Story
Originally posted by etx
Originally posted by XtremeRS Ehh don't worry Thura, it will be better than ever when its back together. Just think, now you won't have to worry about a motor that was built by your most favorite place anymore :) Just let me know if you, or whoever is going to do the work on the car, if I can help out in any way. Its not too far a drive to HRC from my place, and i'd be glad to lend a hand in the repair if needed. Just let me know!
Yeah, I would be down for helping too. I owe you after the axle donation. ;) Let me know, I would love to take a road tip out to chicago and do some wrenchin.

Thanks guys. I'm finally back in Houston. Dino and I were able to catch a flight out of Chicago Midway to Houston around 4pm this afternoon. I probably spent a good 30 minutes sitting alone with my car before leaving. I miss it already. :( I'll see it again soon though.
I generated this page in 0.0080609321594238 seconds, executing 7 queries.