Go back to previous topic
Forum nameManual Trans - NV-T350
Topic subjectFlywheel Replacement?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=34&topic_id=7919
7919, Flywheel Replacement?
Posted by 2G_Dad, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Clutch is gone in son's 97 RS. Will be replaced under warranty, but now he's worried about the flywheel and wants to resurface it when we replace the clutch. A new OEM type flywheel costs slightly more than the resurfacing. Any reason not to get the new (Autozone) flywheel over resurfacing the old one? The core charge is the same as the price of the part, so it's probably a remanufactured OEM anyway. Any special things to look out for, or tips to make the job easier, appreciated. Thanks.
7920, RE: Flywheel Replacement?
Posted by RoninEclipse2G, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Uhhhh, the car has a modular clutch that comes with the flywheel. Everythings rivited together from the factory. If someone's trying to sell you a seperate flywheel they're looking up the wrong car.
7922, RE: Flywheel Replacement?
Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
Uhhhh, the car has a modular clutch that comes with the flywheel. Everythings rivited together from the factory. If someone's trying to sell you a seperate flywheel they're looking up the wrong car.

Hmmm...that's what I thought initially (modular clutch with flywheel). So I called 2 different stores and asked them to look in the box to verify if the flywheel was, or was not, included. Both said it was not. The online descripiton of the clutch says:

Part Number: NU31301FW
Weight: 26.15 lbs
Warranty: LLT
Notes: Disc outside diameter 8 7/8", spline inside diameter 7/8", spline count 17; Contains Premium friction, includes flywheel, O.E. manufactured clutch components Kit includes: Clutch, disc, release bearing pilot bearing, spline lube

Yet the photo does not show the flywheel, which they sell separately as Part Number: 517
Weight: 22.0 lbs
Standard / Flywheel - Manual Transmission
For your 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse 2.0L MFI DOHC 4cyl

Guess I'll know for sure when I pull the old one and compare to the replacement.
7924, RE: Flywheel Replacement?
That's a turbo clutch, I know the number from when I used to work at Checker auto parts. Stupid parts store catalogs don't ever know the difference. I bet it's the computer and not the poor sap using it.

Tell them to look up a Dodge Avenger clutch for the same year. That should get you the right part number
7925, RE: Flywheel Replacement?
The 97 Avenger clutch set comes up with the same part number, but a different flywheel number.
7926, RE: Flywheel Replacement?
WHOOPS, what they're looking up isn't the flywheel, it's the flexplate!

You don't need a new flexplate unless the old one is damaged.
7927, RE: Flywheel Replacement?
I thought flexplates were only used on automatic trannys? Oh well, I'll find out soon enough. Hope to pull the old clutch tomorrow and will see what happens next.
7928, RE: Flywheel Replacement?
nope, our setup uses a modular clutch bolted to a flexplate like a torque converter. Easy as hell to change.
7929, RE: Flywheel Replacement?
Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
nope, our setup uses a modular clutch bolted to a flexplate like a torque converter. Easy as hell to change.

Yep. It sure is nice not needing an alignment tool. The clutch part is simple, it's getting that tranny back in that takes some time.
7957, RE: Flywheel Replacement?
Posted by EclipseSix, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 2G_Dad
Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G nope, our setup uses a modular clutch bolted to a flexplate like a torque converter. Easy as hell to change.
Yep. It sure is nice not needing an alignment tool. The clutch part is simple, it's getting that tranny back in that takes some time.

I second that last part. Just did the clutch on my 95 talon, total PITA to get it back in. I believe what we were doing wrong the whole time is I had the motor supported on blocks, well when the trans came out, the motor shifted backwards towards the firewall. Pulling the motor forward (by hand) while someone else positions the trans helped us line up that first bolt hole.
7949, Some Follow Up / Answers
I think the problem may be with terminology. There is what I would usually call a flywheel on the 97 RS, but with a modular clutch, the "flywheel" is just a thin disc with teeth for the starter to engage. There is no machinable surface. This must be what Ronin referred to as a flexplate. Also, as Ronin said, the flywheel AZ listed was nothing like the stock unit. It was a "real" flywheel, thick enough to be resurfaced when necessary and capable of supporting a component clutch set. So, mystery solved. No flywheel included, but none necessary.
7952, RE: Some Follow Up / Answers
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Just a little info to help describe/understand;

http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Non%20Modular%20VS%20Modular%20Clutch

7953, RE: Some Follow Up / Answers
Right. I didn't see this when I searched, but it sure would have helped avoid some confusion. Nice write-up. Thanks.
I generated this page in 0.021011829376221 seconds, executing 7 queries.