Go back to previous topic
Forum nameManual Trans - NV-T350
Topic subjectClutch pedal Pressure/Clutch Grip and Slip
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=34&topic_id=7543
7543, Clutch pedal Pressure/Clutch Grip and Slip
Posted by Ryan97EclipseRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey guys, just looking for some guesses I suppose. I've got a 97 Eclipse GS MT. I rebuilt my engine about 2 months ago and put a new clutch in. The Pedal pressure was never right after my rebuild and it just felt funny (I've owned an MT eclipse every minute since I was 16). Anyway I just disregarded it and drove it.... About 2 weeks after my rebuild I missed a gear at high RPMs going into 3rd and my clutch exploded. A rivet came out of the housing (which I didn't even think was possible, probably a manufacturing problem), and I replaced it and everything was good, except my pedal pressure. It's a stock LuK replacement now by the way.

Anyway, I babied it for 2k Mi. and I was getting on the freeway the other day and I revved it out a bit and shifted into 3rd and the clutched slipped until about 6k rpms at which point I disengaged to figure out what was up cause it felt funky. So I started screwing with it and I realized my clutch is only engaging when the pedal is out about 75% of the way... So I went with the obvious and gravity bleed the clutch lines for like an hour (because my bleeder screw was still popping bubbles for a long time, leading me to think it's got a horrible seal or something). anyway the problem is still there, I haven't tried but I'm sure if I dropped the clutch to do a burnout it would slip and not fully grab, because that's what it feels like when I speed shift or half clutch it.

I'm just looking for input, I've never done a pedal djustment or anything. Think i should take it to a shop and have it vacuum bleed and checked for leaks or what? I'm at a total loss. This isn't my first clutch install I've done 3 on my old RS. Thanks for any input!

edit: after the clutch blew the first time I replaced the clutch...not the rivet lol... just wanted to clarify

7544, RE: Clutch pedal Pressure/Clutch Grip and Slip
Posted by Ryan97EclipseRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
noone's ever experienced anything like this?
7545, RE: Clutch pedal Pressure/Clutch Grip and Slip
Posted by edxmon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Have you checked your master and slave cylinders? Absolutely no leaks? Try bleeding the clutch the conventional way, I figured a way to do a "1 man clutch bleed" but you better have strong arms. You need to push the rod that goes into the tranny with your right hand, and loosen and tighten the bleeder screw with your left. I did this right after I installed a new master cylinder, because mine was leaking like there was no tomorow. Check all the hydraulics before you go spending on mechanical parts.
7546, RE: Clutch pedal Pressure/Clutch Grip and Slip
Posted by RoninEclipse2G, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
if the clutch itself is damaged it needs to be replaced, as for pedal pressure, it could be a cheap clutch (neon spec) or air/leaks in the hydraulics. what kind of clutch did you buy when you did the engine work? when I did my engine swap I just used a "stock" aftermarket clutch, it was neon spec, not eclipse/talon/avenger spec, felt mushy as hell even after a full flush of the hydraulics w/ no leaks.

if you're gonna use a stock clutch go to a dodge dealer and ask for a 2.0l avenger clutch, cheaper than mitsu and it's the right stiffness on the pressure plate.
I generated this page in 0.011826992034912 seconds, executing 7 queries.