Go back to previous topic
Forum nameManual Trans - NV-T350
Topic subjectclutch service life specs?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=34&topic_id=5945
5945, clutch service life specs?
Posted by foggy45, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i droped the tranny during my rebuild to take care of a few things and noticed the teeth on the pressure plate are worn on the tips.

i have looked for specs to see how far they can be worn before i have to replace the clutch (modular btw) and cant find any.

or are our clutches an "if-then" kinda thing. where IF its worn THEN you just replace it?

thanks in advance
5946, RE: clutch service life specs?
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The ring gear does not have a life expectancy. The teeth are rounded over because someone has been trying to start a running car and grinding the teeth.

The ring gear has nothing to do with the clutch life expectancy either.

Terry
5947, RE: clutch service life specs?
ok now im confused

are you talking about the drive plate that bolts up engine side?
or the circle of little fingers (bout 10 iirc) that is on the tranny side of the modular clutch?

because the gear that engages with the starter is fine no rounding

the circle of little finger i thought was the pressure plate and those are whats worn down there is actually a noticible stepoff about 1/4 back from the tips on all of them.

so im thinking of just replacing the entire clutch

5949, RE: clutch service life specs?
Posted by Chamuko, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
ooooh your talking about the pressure plate fingers? on the inside (center of the clutch)? Hows the TO bearing?
5950, RE: clutch service life specs?
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Sorry, they way your post came across, i thought you were talking about the flexplate. Just as Ivan asked, the condition of the throwout bearing would be the next concern if the plate fingers are worn.

Terry
5951, RE: clutch service life specs?
i check that next and let ya know.
ill get pics this time :)

5953, RE: clutch service life specs?
Posted by Locke_db, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
BTW: thats the pressure plate's diaphragm, it acts as a spring. Just so you know.
5956, RE: clutch service life specs?
the ToB hesitated slightly when rotated byhand and there was a click once in a while.
the fingers have about 1-2mm taken off and the taper extends about 1cm.
so to me it looks like the ToB stoped rotating once in a while and wore in the diapham.
although i admit i really have no idea what a worn/dmged ToB looks like since this is my first tranny

help me out here doctors! :P

I generated this page in 0.010578870773315 seconds, executing 7 queries.