Go back to previous topic
Forum nameManual Trans - NV-T350
Topic subjectNeed a new tranaxle, Whitch one.
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=34&topic_id=5324
5324, Need a new tranaxle, Whitch one.
Posted by NeedaTurbo, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have to replace the whole thing. I brought it to a shop they put a new clutch in it, but then said the tranny needs to be replaced, and they don't do that. So i have a new clutch in a bad tranny. So now i need a new one but don't know what to get. I read on the 2gnt main site about a neon one with a better final drive. Should i get that or get a stock one and put a better clutch in it and LSD. I'm going to go turbo one day. What should i do. Thanks
5325, RE: Need a new tranaxle, Whitch one.
Posted by ForceFed420a, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
What was their justification for recommending a new one? What are the symptoms? Are you just taking them at their word?

If I were you, I'd stick with a 3.94 final drive instead of the 3.55. A 3.55 without a turbo (I've heard) is a DOG.

Brian
5326, RE: Need a new tranaxle, Whitch one.
Posted by 97eclipse97, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by ForceFed420a
What was their justification for recommending a new one? What are the symptoms? Are you just taking them at their word? If I were you, I'd stick with a 3.94 final drive instead of the 3.55. A 3.55 without a turbo (I've heard) is a DOG. Brian

What he said ^

Don't ever just take a shops word without justification. Find out exactly what is wrong with it. Trannies don't just stop working. Really, the only reason you would need a new one is if a shift fork or other internal blew through the housing itself, and I doubt that happened. Otherwise, they can be rebuilt (if something actually is wrong) which may or may not be more expensive than just finding another used one. Take some pictures of the 'problem' if you can.
5327, RE: Need a new tranaxle, Whitch one.
Posted by NeedaTurbo, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'm still driving the car and have been for a while too. I haven't had the money to get a new one. It's ok other than it grinds when you put it in 2nd gear, and is starting to when you put it in 5th. The clutch is real close to the floor. If It just needs a rebuild should i put a performance clutch and a LSD in it. IF so which one. I don't know about this stuff enough to go tearing into it to see whats wrong. I still have to drive it to work.
5328, RE: Need a new tranaxle, Whitch one.
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
For starters the 2nd and 5th gear synchro are shot. the pedal feeling is not normal either, you may have worn master/slave cylinder.

Terry
I generated this page in 0.013261795043945 seconds, executing 7 queries.