Go back to previous topic
Forum nameManual Trans - NV-T350
Topic subjectPops Out of 5th
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=34&topic_id=5066
5066, Pops Out of 5th
Posted by therealpit, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
My tranny is still popping out of 5th. I replace the fork becasue the bushing on the end was beat, and I replaced the syncro right before the gear. What else could be wrong? Do I need to replace 5th gear.
5067, RE: Pops Out of 5th
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The synchro you replaced only slows the shaft down to engage reverse. The fork will not help you as far as your problem goes. You need to replace the fifth gear, Slider, and Dogs to fix this. All dealer parts of get a parts tranny.

Terry
5068, RE: Pops Out of 5th
What are the slider and dogs?
5069, RE: Pops Out of 5th
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
dogs = dog teeth = synchronizer / stop ring. On the speed gear, they're part of the gear. On the syncro side, its a replaceable ring. if the dog teeth are worn, they can't properly mesh and will slide off each other, effectively spitting the syncro and gear apart.

And Terry, a worn fork can cause this. if the teflon bushings on the fork wear sufficiently, it can cause the syncro to never fully engage, spitting it back off the gear's dog teeth.
5070, RE: Pops Out of 5th
He said one pad was worn. The dog teeth are on the 5th gear, the slider is what the fork attaches and moves. The Dogs are the square metal tabs that work with a single ballbearing to act as a detent to keep the slider where it is at when in motion.

The Dogs are what keep the trans in gear when you off and on the throttle.

When constant pressure is on the gear the dog teeth are shaped in such a way so that they cannot slide apart while there is load on the gear.

Dogs and dog teeth are different things, i verified this with a couple tranny shops to make sure i was referring to the wright parts when i ordered them.

Terry
5071, RE: Pops Out of 5th
Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
He said one pad was worn. The dog teeth are on the 5th gear, the slider is what the fork attaches and moves. The Dogs are the square metal tabs that work with a single ballbearing to act as a detent to keep the slider where it is at when in motion. The Dogs are what keep the trans in gear when you off and on the throttle. When constant pressure is on the gear the dog teeth are shaped in such a way so that they cannot slide apart while there is load on the gear. Dogs and dog teeth are different things, i verified this with a couple tranny shops to make sure i was referring to the wright parts when i ordered them. Terry

That's just not how i've ever heard them refered to. The weight of the syncronizer assembly will compress those springs and allow the assembly to slide out of the dog teeth, the balls aren't there to keep it in gear. There is a notched section in the gear select lever that mates to a heavy spring loaded ball in the clutch housing side of the case interior, THAT is what keeps it in gear off load, the synchro ring retainer balls only server to keep the ring from wandering around when its not the selected gear.

5073, RE: Pops Out of 5th
Yes the balls hold neutral position while the square dogs push out from centrifical force to keep the slider from moving as the teflon pads wear. As the Dog pushed out the slider tooth acts as a wedge to keep any play in the inner gear and slider to a minimum. When thee dogs wear the gear will pop out as your off and on the gas.
5074, RE: Pops Out of 5th
The square ball retainers never touch the slider ring. But whatever, replace everything. Can't hurt.
5075, RE: Pops Out of 5th
Your ass sucks buttermilk go look at them, they dont wear on the face by themselves. I guess its friction from the, uh the, uh, yeah they must just get that way. I guess if they dont tough touch the slider how can wear marks caused from the slider appear. perhaps mythbusters should look into this one.

Whatever

You seriously lack common sense sometimes.
5076, RE: Pops Out of 5th
Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
Your ass sucks buttermilk go look at them, they dont wear on the face by themselves. I guess its friction from the, uh the, uh, yeah they must just get that way. I guess if they dont tough touch the slider how can wear marks caused from the slider appear. perhaps mythbusters should look into this one. Whatever You seriously lack common sense sometimes.

I have never, ever seen a ball retainer with any wear on the face. Ever.

But whatever. If you say so. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that that's not the way I've ever understood it to work. If that is indeed their function, why the secondary system on the gear select lever? To really, really hold it in gear?
5077, RE: Pops Out of 5th
My guess is the additional shifter, cables and vibration weight. That singl ball dentent wont hold a trans in gear, I cant see it doing it on its own. I have 3 dogs that show wear from the old trans I pulled apart. The centrifical force produced is by far gearter than the simple ball detent in the bellhousing, think about it.
5078, RE: Pops Out of 5th
So what parts should I purchase. Do you have the part #'s. Do you have the phone # to fenton. Any idea of the total cost. Thanks for all the help.

Keith

5080, RE: Pops Out of 5th
Posted by XMasta19, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by therealpit
So what parts should I purchase. Do you have the part #'s. Do you have the phone # to fenton. Any idea of the total cost. Thanks for all the help. Keith

shh, don't interrupt hehe.
I generated this page in 0.010413885116577 seconds, executing 7 queries.