Go back to previous topic
Forum nameManual Trans - NV-T350
Topic subject4th gear whine and poping out.
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=34&topic_id=4357
4357, 4th gear whine and poping out.
Posted by customrsturbo, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Everything was ok on the track. On the final run I couldn't get it into 4th gear. My clutch is now lighty softer and lower, so I know my stock clutch is almost gone. Also the shifter feels kind of loose. Now, my question is: can a worn out clutch cause 4th gear not to go in somtimes, whine and pop out under load? The tranny don't grind in any gear and only goes into 4th if I play with the shifter and press the clutch several times. I can downshift from 5th to 4th with no problems. The whining is only in acceleration and not deceleration. Any ideas?
4358, RE: 4th gear whine and poping out.
Got home from work, removed the battery and support. Notice that the shift linkage was only in position with the rod half way in place. I pushed the rod all the way in and installed everything back. Now the shifter fills better than before. The only downside is that 4th gear is winning and popping out, 3rd is starting to do so also. Sound like I will replace the clutch and syncrhos all in one.
Thanks to 2gnt.com for the search option.
4365, RE: 4th gear whine and poping out.
Tranny broke! Will tear it down today night after work.
4366, RE: 4th gear whine and poping out.
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
When this happend to me, it was because i was leaking fluid, and 90% of it had left the case. the 3-4 syncro is very lubrication-dependant, as it turns out, and tends to ruin dog teeth on both the syncro and gear when its dry. Might want to check the fluid level first off, and if its low, be prepared to replace the 3rd & 4th syncro rings, and if the gear dog teeth are worn down and not sharp and diamond shaped, the speed gears, too.
4369, RE: 4th gear whine and poping out.
Thanks, it was probably the fluid as you mention. I had never changed. It was dark and burnout. I opened the tranny last night and the bearing on top of the output shaft was gone. The bearings damage the diff and output shaft. Also the pin in the diff was moving a little bit. Couldn't take out the shafts nor the shift linkage.
I never had any problem with the tranny. It just didn't shift into 4th gear on the track. Few days later, dead. Anyways, I found a 1995 Neon tranny for 175.00. Will spot weld the pin in the diff. Any other suggestion?
4370, RE: 4th gear whine and poping out.
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by customrsturbo
Thanks, it was probably the fluid as you mention. I had never changed. It was dark and burnout. I opened the tranny last night and the bearing on top of the output shaft was gone. The bearings damage the diff and output shaft. Also the pin in the diff was moving a little bit. Couldn't take out the shafts nor the shift linkage. I never had any problem with the tranny. It just didn't shift into 4th gear on the track. Few days later, dead. Anyways, I found a 1995 Neon tranny for 175.00. Will spot weld the pin in the diff. Any other suggestion?

Now might be a good time to invest in a RetroFit LSD.
I generated this page in 0.0075628757476807 seconds, executing 7 queries.