Go back to previous topic
Forum nameManual Trans - NV-T350
Topic subjectClutch ?'s need some expert opinions please...
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=34&topic_id=4225
4225, Clutch ?'s need some expert opinions please...
Posted by Kirby, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Ok so my clutch is starting to slip so I'm looking at getting a new CM stage 4 disk. (my current setup is the non-mod. CM stage 4 with alum. flywheel) I called clutch masters to get a price on a disk replacement and they told me I would need to send it in to them to be done. They said I would need a new insert for the flywheel, and they would have to do some work with the pressure plate to ensure that the tollerences are ok (said something about putting a new ring in). So they said it would be around $350 and I would have to send it to them in cali for the work. This is my DD though so I can't afford a week of downtime. This is where I need some info, I know I was talking to sales and they try to make the most money they can, but if I look around I see all the rebuild kits for non mod clutches, and all they are is a TOB and a disk. So can I just get the disk, or if I buy the disk and the new insert for the flywheel can I just bolt it all back together or will the pressure plate need work too?
4236, RE: Clutch ?'s need some expert opinions please...
Posted by techboy, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'm not sure entirely understand what you are trying to say/or ask. I'm not sure if it's me or way you're wording things .. but I'll give it a shot brother ...

When you installed your non-modular CM stage IV was it bolted together or riveted together? If it was bolted, you should be able to just insert a new clutch disk ... if it is riveted you should be able to drill out the rivets, disassemble the clutch and put in the new clutch disk in. You'll have to tap the FW and buy some bolts in order to re-assemble it. If this is making any sense and you want to talk about it more PM me. :thumbsup
4237, RE: Clutch ?'s need some expert opinions please...
Posted by Kirby, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by techboy
I'm not sure entirely understand what you are trying to say/or ask. I'm not sure if it's me or way you're wording things .. but I'll give it a shot brother ... When you installed your non-modular CM stage IV was it bolted together or riveted together? If it was bolted, you should be able to just insert a new clutch disk ... if it is riveted you should be able to drill out the rivets, disassemble the clutch and put in the new clutch disk in. You'll have to tap the FW and buy some bolts in order to re-assemble it. If this is making any sense and you want to talk about it more PM me. :thumbsup

Sorry if I confused you.. I noted it is the non modular clutch so it is in seperate pieces. I have heard people say you can just replace the disk, but clutchmasters says I have to replace the flywheel insert, and that they will have to adjust the pressure plate as well. So that's what I am asking is Can I really just replace the disk, or do I have to do these other things they are telling me I have to do...

So If anyone has acctually replaced just the disk without touching the flywheel or the pressure plate on a CM stage 4 please let me know how it went...
4238, RE: Clutch ?'s need some expert opinions please...
Posted by techboy, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'm not sure I've ever even heard of a flywheel insert? ... and I even owned a CM at one point. Hmmm. I'm curious about what that is/does? Anyway, I wouldn't see why you just wouldn't be able to replace the disk. And you wouldn't necessarily have to get a disk from CM either, other disks the same diameter should work fine. I know when I replaced my disk I just resurfaced the pressure plate and flywheel with an abrasive pad mounted to a diegrinder. It cleaned it all up and made the surfaces real "grabby" again. Clutch seems to be working fine. I'm not saying you maybe shouldn't do the things CM is suggesting, but if downtime is an issue for you I don't see the big deal unless your FW & PP are in really bad shape. Altogether, I'm actually surprised their price isn't higher for the things you listed ... the tend to be a bit steep usually.
4240, RE: Clutch ?'s need some expert opinions please...
Posted by Chamuko, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
He has inserts becuase he has an aluminum flywheel. You cant machine it, you hae to replace the steel surface.
I generated this page in 0.012407779693604 seconds, executing 7 queries.