Go back to previous topic
Forum nameManual Trans - NV-T350
Topic subjectClutch install was horrible (rant).
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=34&topic_id=4108
4108, Clutch install was horrible (rant).
Posted by RxR_Eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Well finaly had time to put in the cm stg 3 i bought from James. Dear GOD that was the worst experience i have ever had with my car, and I have rebuilt the engine 3 times now! Myself and my friends, Don and Bryce (thanks to both of them), got all of it out no problem, but when trying to put the damn thing back on it took 3.5 hrs to get it bolted back up. God Im glad its back on and I hope to never take that thing off again. Next time I'm going to just pay someone to do it. I read on here it was fairly easy, but it was FAR from that. Anyway to those of you who have done it in less than 6 hrs props to you.
4109, RE: Clutch install was horrible (rant).
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You WILL pull it again, you WILL learn easier techniques for yourself and YOU WILL think its easy...lol dont worry you will find it easy on the next run.

Terry
4111, RE: Clutch install was horrible (rant).
yea it was just a matter of fishing it in, next time around, you get to come and help Terry. ;). What ended up working for us was lowering the engine on the drivers side to the extreme and then just wiggling the shit out of it. Then it just pushed right up. It was so sudden I thought something was wrong. Tonight I'll see how much better a stg 3 is to my old stocker :).
4112, RE: Clutch install was horrible (rant).
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Two people, and two hydralic hjacks.. one to get the motor up, one to lift the trrans, and two people to steady it.

That way, and it's CAKE to reinstall the trans.
4114, RE: Clutch install was horrible (rant).
Yes we used an engine hoist and two jacks, final push was just me holding the darn thing up and Don pushing it with his feet. In she went. I'm glad its over. I would also like to aknowledge Armonds writeup, without it, this would have been worse.
4128, RE: Clutch install was horrible (rant).
Posted by extreme97nt, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
it gets faster the more you do it. I am up to 4-5hrs now in and out.

best time so far 14.3 @ 101.1mph(no traction)
www.cnnmotorsports.com
4137, RE: Clutch install was horrible (rant).
Posted by grain, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
is it really that hard for people? lol.

in chicago. me and terry got my tranny back in and driving in like 2 hours, was 10* outside. while it was dark.
4138, RE: Clutch install was horrible (rant).
Posted by DR1665, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by grain
in chicago. me and terry got my tranny back in and driving in like 2 hours, was 10* outside. while it was dark.

That'll put hair on your chest. :+
4161, RE: Clutch install was horrible (rant).
Posted by UpToSpeed, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You know something I don't know :P

Took me 3.5 hours to get that thing in for the first time after my ATX to MTX swap... I was about to start throwing things...

The thing that finally worked for me was to jack up the engine on the corner of the oil pan, and jack up the tranny on a creeper :P Man I wish I had a tranny jack!
I generated this page in 0.0095829963684082 seconds, executing 7 queries.