Go back to previous topic
Forum nameManual Trans - NV-T350
Topic subjectAttention: Guys who've had no speedo .. qeustion?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=34&topic_id=3124
3124, Attention: Guys who've had no speedo .. qeustion?
Posted by techboy, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
So I finally got my car back together and running after 6 months of being down only to find out I had no speedo and odometer. So I did a search last night :thumbsup and found a post from Dino on how to check whether your sensor is bad or something is wrong with the tranny. My sensor is fine, when I spin the speedo gear manually I have a speedometer. A little while later I discovered my speedo ring gear fell off my diff and is floating in my tranny - so that answers why I have no speedo .... my question is why I don't have an odometer? Are the speedo gear/sensor somehow related to the odomoter? Please say yes, I don't want another problem :cry
3125, RE: Attention: Guys who've had no speedo .. qeustion?
Posted by dougie2, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yes, the odometer will work with the speedometer. I think you have to pull the tranny to get at the diff. ring gear.
3127, RE: Attention: Guys who've had no speedo .. qeustion?
Yes, your absolutely right. Considering I just put the tranny in on Thursday I am not too happy about having to take it out and all apart again.

So, the speedo and odometer work in conjuction. That's what I wanted to hear .... at least their is one positive to this.
3145, RE: Attention: Guys who've had no speedo .. qeustion?
Posted by 420AYE, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
make sure your speedo gear has those tabs in the middle and isn't worn down on one side. Mine was ground waaay down and was just circular and beveled on the inside. this will be the first time my odo or speedo will work since i've had my car almost 1.5 years ago.
3148, RE: Attention: Guys who've had no speedo .. qeustion?
HA! A year and half huh? Well, you've putting on some free milage then haven't you! Well, I'm not going to pass inspection in PA without an odometer or speedo, so I need to get this thing fixed :thumbsdown
3179, RE: Attention: Guys who've had no speedo .. qeustion?
Posted by 420AYE, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
actually. i've put about 20 miles on it. b4 i messed with the sensor it would sporatically work, and it would slowly turn and put some miles down. i have not reset the trip odo since i've had my car... and its at about 20 now these days. And im never gonna sell me car unless i totall it, so im not worried about the milage and rippin someone off. it would be rebuilt b4 then anyhow.
3411, RE: Attention: Guys who've had no speedo .. qeustion?
Posted by KBallistiks, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have another question about the same issue. I've been searching for the past 2-3 days, and I know everyone says we have to pull the tranny, but would it be possible to leave the bell housing bolted up and unbolt the halfcase?
3425, RE: Attention: Guys who've had no speedo .. qeustion?
Posted by DJ420a, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I know how you feel. Ive been driving around for over a year without them, cuz I dont know whats wrong. I live in PA aswell!!

Good Luck man
DJ
3427, RE: Attention: Guys who've had no speedo .. qeustion?
Posted by Ducking_Fumbass, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You can't just unbolt the case from the bellhousing. <shudder> I can't even fucking imagine lining EVERYTHING up that's in the trans that has a race in the bellhousing... Besides, it would be harder to unbolt the case in the car then would it be to remove the trans and then unbolt the case.
3428, RE: Attention: Guys who've had no speedo .. qeustion?
Posted by KBallistiks, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Ducking_Fumbass
You can't just unbolt the case from the bellhousing. <shudder> I can't even fucking imagine lining EVERYTHING up that's in the trans that has a race in the bellhousing... Besides, it would be harder to unbolt the case in the car then would it be to remove the trans and then unbolt the case.

Absolutely correct! My first time tearing apart the tranny. It wasn't too bad. Lining up rods never crossed my mind. Hell of a lot of BS just to replace a 12 dollar piece of plastic.
3584, RE: Attention: Guys who've had no speedo .. qeustion?
This is an old post of mine .. just thought I would toss out an update here: it's fixed.
I generated this page in 0.013020992279053 seconds, executing 7 queries.