Go back to previous topic
Forum nameManual Trans - NV-T350
Topic subjectClutch questions for 300hp...done search
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=34&topic_id=2355
2355, Clutch questions for 300hp...done search
Posted by lickscissors, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
im in the process of rebuilding and im wondering what to do about a clutch....im shooting for 300-340hp(crank)... the clutch was replaced about 5-10k miles ago so is still pretty new...how long do you think the clutch will last? i dont want to buy a brand new one until this ones shit.... im not sure what kind it is (modular or not) but i know it doesnt come apart...its the one thats one piece and is bolted to the flywheel.... any help? will i make it a year? thanks
doug
2356, RE: Clutch questions for 300hp...done search
Posted by extreme97nt, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I do beleve you are in the wrong section. There has been alot of talk about clutches lately in the perf/engine section...

best time so far 14.3 @ 101.1mph(no traction)
fastest 2GNT with a hitch! until proven wrong...
2357, RE: Clutch questions for 300hp...done search
Posted by JasonESi_T, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
IT depends on how you drive it. IF you're doing some serious downshifting and ripping off the line, while being a shitty drier who likes to ride the clutch...well, not too long. If you drive it like granny with granny shifting, and only boosting ervy so often, I'll betcha it last a long, long time. Somewhere in between, well the clutch might last somewhere in between the above. I'm betting somewhere in the year to two years range if you do drive it carefully. Maybe 3 to 6 months, if you drive it aggressively.

If you want to stay with that clutch for a bit, and want to extend its life as long as possible, just go easy on your driving. It's one thing to row through the gears up to 15 psi, but I think it's quite another when you're blasting off the line or downshifting to 6000 rpm's.

When you're finally through with this clutch, go with one that's better suited for high HP performance. Since we don't have any high pressure plates available to us, get one that's pucked and has a material that's better than organic or kevlar. You're best bet is one with ceramic or feramic. And it's really not hard to swap out clutches, so don't be afraid of the job. It's just a good day job on a Saturday.

Good luck!
2365, RE: Clutch questions for 300hp...done search
thanks...i know i say ill take it easy on it...but i know im not going to be able to.... ill try my hardest and see how long it will last....thanks
doug
2375, RE: Clutch questions for 300hp...done search
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
hey doug i found a guy that custom builds clutches for our car (modular) and he sells the pretty cheap considering out makes. check him out when you have time
http://www.zumeclutches.com/index.php?cPath=41_42

Terry
2376, RE: Clutch questions for 300hp...done search
yeah that one looks decent....it says it can handle up to 400hp...what does everyone else think about this...its only 285$, seems like a pretty reasonable price, of course i havent searched the clutchmasters or speck clutches, but i thought they were a lot more....thanks
doug
2381, RE: Clutch questions for 300hp...done search
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
They are a lot more. spec is like 400.00 and clutchmaster i think is higher than that. I asked this guy how he can make such a quality clutch at such a cheap price. He told me he has them custom made...a stock flywheel and pressure plate with a custom disk. I have heard good things about miba like it "reacts like kevlar when slipping it" however it is supposed to be less abusive to the flywheel. Mine should be here by monday or tuesday and hopefully have it in by the weekend with the 355 trans.

Terry
I generated this page in 0.013613939285278 seconds, executing 7 queries.