Go back to previous topic
Forum nameManual Trans - NV-T350
Topic subjectclutch noise...
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=34&topic_id=1958
1958, clutch noise...
Posted by siueclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
ok.. ive been getting what i think is clutch chatter. when the car is cold i have this grinding noise coming from the tranny. if i put my foot on the clutch, the noise goes away. when the car warms up the noise goes away.. however.. every now and then im noticing that when im boosting the noise comes back.

i have a clutchmasters stage 3 clutch. i was reading in another post that with these clutches you need to drive to somewhat fast.. like you can't slip the clutch to move the car or else you will grind the teeth in the clutch.

is this true?

what can i do to stop this noise? could it be something else like the throw out bearing? if youd like i can take a vid of the noise so you can hear the sound.

thanx
james
1970, RE: clutch noise...
Posted by onetrav, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Ok, this is what im told. The chatter your heard could be from either the clips on the throwout bearning not being sucured properly or you may need to put some high temp grease on some spots you might have missed. I assume you used at least some grease right??? BTW, its better to have a little chatter do to not quite enough grease then having to much causing you clutch to slip and turn to crap.:-) I hope I helped a little. Someone else feel free to chime in.
2096, RE: clutch noise...
Posted by siueclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
well, i pulled the motor.. there wasn't much grease on the inside spindle, i put grease on it and buttoned it back up.. started the car, same noise only quieter
2098, RE: clutch noise...
Posted by onetrav, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
did you check the clips on the throwout bearing??? Were they broken or anything????? Can anyone else help him??
2099, RE: clutch noise...
Posted by Sitinlo, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have had the same noise with my car. If anyone knows what the sound is please help us.
2100, RE: clutch noise...
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Clutches don't have "teeth" to grind. They have a friction disk, and a surface it has to grab. Whoever told you that you were grinding clutch "teeth" should be listened to with a grain of salt from here on out. However, the throwout bearing rides on "teeth" on the pressure plate, so perhaps its an issue of semantics.

Chances are it's just a throwout bearing. they are typically noisy in these cars and that's normal.
2106, RE: clutch noise...
Posted by Sitinlo, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Well if its the throwout bearing i will let ya know. Im waiting anyday now for my Spec stage 3 to come in.
2107, RE: clutch noise...
Posted by KaptainMyke, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I've had that throwout bearing grinding problem too, ask Dino. I've had it on my car for the last 2 yrs, no serious probs. 120k original clutch, but now it's starting to make a high pitch shrill when i push the clutch in. If you notice, the "grinding noise" goes away when the engine is warmed up, though, right?
I generated this page in 0.0074698925018311 seconds, executing 7 queries.