Go back to previous topic
Forum nameManual Trans - NV-T350
Topic subjectGetting ready to install a tranny with 65k on it, Replace anything?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=34&topic_id=1762
1762, Getting ready to install a tranny with 65k on it, Replace anything?
Posted by Ozzmosis86, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I am getting ready to install a tranny with 65k miles on it into my car. Should I replace anything in the tranny before I put it in? Are there any seals that I should replace? I would hate to get it in and have something go wrong right away.

Andy

MonteSS86@hotmail.com
1763, RE: Getting ready to install a tranny with 65k on it, Replace anything?
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Replace the axle seals. other than that, as long as it shifts okay, i'd say you're gold.
1773, RE: Getting ready to install a tranny with 65k on it, Replace anything?
Posted by 97TurboGS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by DarkOne
Replace the axle seals. other than that, as long as it shifts okay, i'd say you're gold.

I would recommend also replacing your throw-out bearing.
1774, RE: Getting ready to install a tranny with 65k on it, Replace anything?
Originally posted by 97TurboGS
Originally posted by DarkOne Replace the axle seals. other than that, as long as it shifts okay, i'd say you're gold.
I would recommend also replacing your throw-out bearing.

The throw-out bearing comes with the SPEC Stage 3 clutch that I have.

Andy
1786, RE: Getting ready to install a tranny with 65k on it, Replace anything?
I got the new tranny, SPEC Stage 3 clutch, front and rear motor mounts, and the shifter plate bushings all in today. Drives like a whole new car. Lots of new vibrations and rattles, as expected. The clutch grabs like mad!!! Clutch chatter really is only bad when I don't do such a good take off. I wasn't able to get axle seals, the closest dealership that had them was 2 hours away. I had to take one of the seals off the tranny coming out of the car and put it in my new tranny. I didn't look like we destroyed the seal, but it is leaking some. I may have overfilled the tranny, and maybe that is attributing to some of the leakage. I think I can get that seal out while the tranny is in the car. I will just have to pull the axle, it is the right hand side. I think I am going to drive to Logansport, IN on Monday morning and pick up the seal. We had 4 of us working on the the install today, but because there is only so much to do 2 or 3 guys could probably do just as well. It took us about 7 hours for the removal and install of all of the above items. Not too bad for the first time for all of us. My father, who helped alot, has removed and installed about 20-30 transmissions in Grand Prix GTP's, not exagerating!!! So he had quite a bit of insight. Thanks to Dino for his help and willingness to help us through the install even though we didn't even need it.

Andy
1788, RE: Getting ready to install a tranny with 65k on it, Replace anything?
Originally posted by Ozzmosis86
Thanks to Dino for his help and willingness to help us through the install even though we didn't even need it. Andy

Welcome. I was fully expecting to hear from you, but i can't say that i'm not pleased you didn't have to call.

Good luck on those axle seals... I've never removed them with the trans in the car - i always pop them out from the inside with a punch and a hammer. I don't see any reason you couldn't pry them out with a screwdriver from the outside though, but have fun trying to hammer the new ones into place.
1789, RE: Getting ready to install a tranny with 65k on it, Replace anything?
Originally posted by DarkOne
Originally posted by Ozzmosis86 Thanks to Dino for his help and willingness to help us through the install even though we didn't even need it. Andy
Welcome. I was fully expecting to hear from you, but i can't say that i'm not pleased you didn't have to call. Good luck on those axle seals... I've never removed them with the trans in the car - i always pop them out from the inside with a punch and a hammer. I don't see any reason you couldn't pry them out with a screwdriver from the outside though, but have fun trying to hammer the new ones into place.

I have a seal puller that should make it a little easier to get the old one out. I know it is going to be a pita to get the new one in without damaging it.

Andy
1791, RE: Getting ready to install a tranny with 65k on it, Replace anything?
Posted by MotoFool, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
you might want to think about spending 100$ on a phantom grip diff pin so you dont shatter that tranny case when the pin backs out..

Bill
1796, RE: Getting ready to install a tranny with 65k on it, Replace anything?
I got the new seal in today. So far no problems have been come up. I will see if it still leaks in the morning, but so far it looks like it won't. I also have a little over 100 miles on my SPEC stage 3 clutch. I can tell that it is braking in nicely. Clutch chatter is already getting less and less, and I can really feel the clutch griping. I squaked the tires going into second gear tonight without trying. I know I need to keep off of it until the clutch gets fully broken in. My one complaint about the clutch is that there is a very limited amount of actual clutch pedal travel that is effective. The first half of my clutch travel really doesn't hardly dissengage the clutch at all. I also noticed that with my old stock clutch I could shift without fully depressing the clutch, but with the SPEC clutch I have to FULLY depress the pedel before putting it in gear. I have ground gears a couple of times from that.

Let me know what you think,

Andy
1799, RE: Getting ready to install a tranny with 65k on it, Replace anything?
It'll get better as the clutch wears in.

MotoFool: a PG will do absolutely nothing to help stop the spiders from seizing. If you don't know what you're talking about, shut up.
1804, RE: Getting ready to install a tranny with 65k on it, Replace anything?
Posted by Chamuko, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
He was talking about the option of a kit offered by PG , it has a pin machined to stay in better. I agree here though, it is totally un needed. I say just buy the 2 dollar brackets/braces from the dealer.
I generated this page in 0.014441967010498 seconds, executing 7 queries.