Go back to previous topic
Forum nameManual Trans - NV-T350
Topic subjectFor those who have replaced a transmission...
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=34&topic_id=1619
1619, For those who have replaced a transmission...
Posted by Twiste, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
how much did it cost you? So far im getting $819 in labor and then whatever the parts will be...what all should I ask to have replaced? My second gear is shot to hell so that definetly...anything else i need to know?
1620, RE: For those who have replaced a transmission...
Posted by etx, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
If thats to take out the trans, fix it and reinstall it thats a goood price! :thumbsup
1621, RE: For those who have replaced a transmission...
Posted by ner947, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
here's what you're going to do. you're going to the junkyard and going to get yourself a "new" NV-T350. $375 TOPS. if you have 8-19mm sockets and extenders, a long screwdriver, PB blaster, and a sledgehammer, and $20 to rent an engine lift, you can do it all in about 8 hours.
1622, RE: For those who have replaced a transmission...
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I dropped mine last night in 3 hours.
1623, RE: For those who have replaced a transmission...
Posted by XtremeRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by DarkOne

blaaa! Last time I dropped mine, from start, to trans on the ground, was an hour and a half. :) Dino, stop drinking beer when you are workin on the car! hehe.. But seriously, its really not that hard to do, assuming you have decent wrench skills, a place to do the job, jack stands, and a floor jack. Someone to help putting it back up to the block really helps too. IMO, its suprisingly easy to drop the trans, although i have done it like 4 times now..and get to do it again really soon! :rolleyes Oh yeah, its a bit harder to do with a auto trans..a bit more time consuming..
1624, RE: For those who have replaced a transmission...
Posted by soulcontroller, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
yea, you can do it relatively quickly, all you need are the things stated above, and a nice strong back haha. and yes, the auto trans is a little larger/heavier.

you should do a m/t to a/t swap hehe :thumbsup
1625, RE: For those who have replaced a transmission...
Posted by felix4787, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Unless you have a brand new clutch, I would suggest buying a new modular clutch. I had to replace my starter as well, but you probably wont end up having to do that.

With two people, first time on a 2gnt for both of us, it took us a good 11-12hrs to get the whole thing done.
1626, RE: For those who have replaced a transmission...
Well, i would prefer to have a newly built trans. rather than a used one...plus i dont really have the time to work on my car this weekend and there are no wrecked eclipses here in town. Ive called. I just need to get it done...i would like to do it myself it if would save me money but i dont know. What's the PB blaster? IYHO, should i just put in a used one with less miles or should I take it somewhere and have them install the new synchros?
1628, RE: For those who have replaced a transmission...
Posted by ner947, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
PB blaster is kind of like WD40, but it RAPES stuck bolts. i've seen it work wonders.

1629, RE: For those who have replaced a transmission...
Posted by 2hot97GS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Well, i would prefer to have a newly built trans. rather than a used one...plus i dont really have the time to work on my car this weekend and there are no wrecked eclipses here in town. Ive called. I just need to get it done...i would like to do it myself it if would save me money but i dont know. What's the PB blaster? IYHO, should i just put in a used one with less miles or should I take it somewhere and have them install the new synchros?

Well if your 2nd gear is gone which i think you said.. you cant just replace the syncro... you have to replace the entire shaft.. which is 1200 bucks.... no ifs ands or buts.. u cant replace that syncro.. its a non serviceable shaft.... you either have to buy the new shaft, a new transmission (hope you got bank), or a boneyard trans.. i paid 750 for mine... and after you get it done.. fill it with AMSOIL AFT4.. not that expensive mopar shit.
1630, RE: For those who have replaced a transmission...
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 2hot97GS
Well if your 2nd gear is gone which i think you said.. you cant just replace the syncro... you have to replace the entire shaft.. which is 1200 bucks.... no ifs ands or buts.. u cant replace that syncro.. its a non serviceable shaft.... you either have to buy the new shaft, a new transmission (hope you got bank), or a boneyard trans.. i paid 750 for mine... and after you get it done.. fill it with AMSOIL AFT4.. not that expensive mopar shit.

$750 is expensive for a bineyard trans. I wouldn't pay more that $400, and that's pushing it. I paid $325 for my 3.55 trans.
1633, RE: For those who have replaced a transmission...
Posted by felix4787, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Twiste

I'd say pick up a used one, as long as you knew it was in good shape when it was pulled off the donor car. Replacing the tranny is pretty simple, but make sure you have a transmission jack, saved us lots of trouble. The thing I can't stress the most if you do it yourself... LABEL YOUR BOLTS. Man that was a major PITA (we started off good, then went down hill). I picked my tranny up for $250, but I guess I just got lucky.

1627, RE: For those who have replaced a transmission...
Posted by FuSi0N, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by DarkOne

I swear, I wish I lived next to Dino.

1631, RE: For those who have replaced a transmission...
well i cant find any boneyard trans. online under $600 with decent miles. someone know somewhere to find one or a 3.55?
I generated this page in 0.01445198059082 seconds, executing 7 queries.